My thoughts on the game

Viewing 5 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Coaching: team came out with very little energy, but picked it up. Played pretty much everyone again.

worster: good player. Better than Jones because he’s bigger and more athletic. Not as athletic as Pelle but honestly a better player.

Jenkins: He’ll be the guy we get the ball to when we need a bucket. He scored a VERY easy 25. If it had been a closer game he could have scored 40.

Anthony: great rebounder. Poor shooter but he is unselfish and doesn’t force up shots.

Battin: tries hard. Should not be starting on a pac12 team.

Carlson: clearly worked on his game. Much better in the post offensively. Much better rebounder.

Mahorcic: Best backup big we’ve had since bachynski. Tough as nails. A man’s man.

Gach: same player he’s always been. Had a few nice plays, several WTF plays. Swishes, bricks… Still hasn’t put it together mentally.

The rest: ballstaedt needs more minutes, so does Holt. Take some of Barton’s minutes please. Stefanovic is quick, but plays waaay faster than his brain can keep up with. Triune had two nice plays at the end.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If this was 90s basketball I’d say play Carlson and mahorcic together. Susan is soooo much better that Battin. Battin was 1/4, with 2 boards and 2 turnovers in 20 minutes. Susan had 8 rebounds, 4 points no misses, a block and a couple assists with zero turnovers. He’s a player.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Also. This team is going to struggle with shot creation if the ball stops moving. We are going to turn the ball over a lot this year if Gach, Battin, and Carlson handle the ball much.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I enjoy your insight. Thank you for these posts.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Hopefully Craig Smith sticks around long enough to see the full renovation through. He’s already in the mix for recruiting considering what a complete mess the BB program had become. Losing the mission kid, whatever his name is really no big deal IMO. Give Smith a couple years to get things in a better place and that kid may come back in two years when Smith brings in more talent and starts winning big games.

Fundamentally the team already looks better, a long way to go of course. Utes have very little inside scorng presence against these lower caliber teams that will be a problem when P12 play starts. You can tell the kids are playing hard and Smith has infused positive energy. Once Utah starts winning the fans will start coming back. This rebuild is going to take 2-3 years. 

BTW, was that Eddie Vedder’s son at the end of the bench dressed in the marron hoody and camo pants? Still getting acquainted with all the new players as usual :)! Go Utes!

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I think smith will be here for at least 3 years. Fan support is pathetic right now. If he can somehow manage to beat TSPP, we’ll get more fans to the games.

fwiw I think we can beat them if we give more effort than them. They don’t have a go to scorer. If we play good team defense and rebound with tenacity we can win.

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

Worster was the most impressive player overall with his size at guard, ball handling, defense, and shooting. He has the biggest upside being just a sophmore. Glad we have him and hope he develops under Smith into a very good player.

Agree on Mahorcic. At 6-10 and 226 lbs. he gives the Utes some muscle inside that we haven’t seen in years. He brings some scoring and defense, but most importantly some solid rebounding.

I see a lot of improvement in Carlson, but I am disappointed he hasn’t put on more muscle. I was hoping he would be more of a force inside at 7 foot. I think he may be of the school that believes lifting weights and too much muscle will hurt his shooting. He can keep shooting threes and try to be a tall forward in the NBA because he will not be able to compete at center. Roster lists him at 216 lbs.

Anthony seems like he is not committed and going through the motions. Hope he proves me wrong in further play.

I hate to rag on Battin, but he appears almost clumsy at times and he can’t jump more than an inch off the floor. But, but he is committed to play hard and surprises with his defense and rebounding, and generally feisty play. If he starts making more good plays than bad, then he will remain a starter and help the team.

I have watched some of the other PAC12 teams play, and I don’t think the Utes can match up with their athletes, but I see that Smith is coaching commitment to defense first, and some movement and running on offense that is helping with the scoring. At least the Utes look like you want to watch them, win or lose.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) My thoughts on the game