Nate Johnson committed.

Viewing 7 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

I’m excited about Steptoe, but this is HUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Care to enlighten us about how this is huge? Not saying you are wrong, I just know nothing about him.

mfaulk80
          Ute Fan
          @mfaulk80

He’s blowing up in camps, just made it as an Elite 11 finalist, and was almost assuredly our number 1 priority for the QB position.  Additionally, landing a great talent like him now only helps draw other recruits to the program in the future.  There was enough buzz on him blowing up that I honestly didn’t think we’d end up having a chance even though I knew his visit went well.  We’ve gone after similar players in the past and didn’t land them….so it’s pretty exciting to land someone like him this time around. 

Sweetness
            Ute Fan
            @sweetness

His trajectory reminds me a bit of Huntley. Committed while under the radar then went on to blow up and win Gatorade Player of the Year in Florida. Feels like Johnson is on a similar path. You watch the tape and he looks every bit of a 4* plus kid that could be going anywhere.

So pumped about this!!!

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Per Brandon Huffman “Speed, speed and more speed. With an arm to boot. Johnson is one of the fastest football players in the state, not just quarterbacks, players, period, running a 10.56 100m this spring. But lest you think he’s just a running quarterback, he’s more a quarterback that can run- Johnson still wants to make plays with his arm. He’s got a unique skill set, with arm strength and a quicker, consistent release and a smooth motion. He is boiling with upside and has all the natural physical tools to be a great quarterback.” Enough said.

Michigan came after him hard and the crystal ball predictions had him going there until now. My uneducated guess is his star ranking will go up when the services re-rank the recruits. 247 has him just under a 4 star recruit as it is.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Kid is gonna blow up…massive get!! Boom!!!

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

From what I’ve read, dude is a great athlete…super fast but throw first, like Costelli. Stoked for this get. Also seems like a Utah guy – hard working and humble. 

When you say blow up, I assume you are thinking his recruiting ranking will significantly increase? Do you think he has a chance at 4 stars? I’ve read nothing but rave reviews of him so I wonder if his current 86 rating is low? All I can find is that he’s a top trending kid and has some small things to clean up with his mechanics and footwork. Seems like he should be rated higher but I guess that’s why I’m not an evaluator of talent! 

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Easy 4 star guy when all is said and done. Chose us over Michigan and UCLA. High ceiling as well.

FtheY
              Ute Fan
              @fthey

Extremely encouraging. Thanks as always, OnlyU. 

How does he compare to Zamora who decommitted? Or Denegal, who I thought was a legacy kid and is currently higher rated? My guess is Nate Johnson is a better athlete with a higher ceiling but just curious if there is more than that. 

I also know we usually only take 1 qb per cycle. Do you think we’d take 2 if Denegal still wanted in as a 4* guy? 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This explains why JP Zamora decommitted.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Apparently Nate was seen running around in red cleats at the big house just days after Michigan banned all red from the facility. I guess he knew where he was gonna commit!

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Virtual fist bumps to all my UteHub bros…this is awesome news!! So stoked about the state of the program! And here’s to hoping we set a new ranking record with the class of ‘22!!! Go Utes!!

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

This. Fist bump right back at you. 

I want that recruiting ranking so badly. We’ve always developed talent, but this helps us get guys with higher floors and higher likelihood of contributing early and less “projects”. That leads to less starting turnover, more chemistry and more depth. Should help us compete at a higher level year in and year out and reduce our dependency on timing. Guys are also committing earlier, which means we’re less dependent on trying to clean up the talent that’s still available at the last minute. 

It’s a virtuous cycle and we’re starting to break in. 

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Distantute
        Ute Fan
        @distantute

Man this kid looks incredible

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

I’m stoked about this.

I agree with Bartle in that I think is what it would have been like to get CJ Stroud before he blew up. This kids a stud. Fellas, we are SO set for the next several years.

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

The amazing transfer/recruiting news never ends at Utah. God bless Coach Whitt and co. ⚪️🔴

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Nate Johnson committed.