NCAA rule changes for the 2019 season.

Viewing 2 reply threads

Ute_tastic
      Ute Fan
      @ctbo139pk

Targeting:

After a targeting call on the field the replay officials will either confirm or overturn the call, the “let the call stand” is removed. that means that for the replay officials the targeting has to be clearly targeting, this “removes” the if in doubt throw him out part of the call.

Also, if a player is called for a 3rd targeting call during the season he is disqualified for the rest of that game and for the entirety of the next game.

Blind side blocks:

Forcible blind side block will receive a 15-yard penalty. targeting call may apply to this call as well.

Overtime change:

After the fourth overtime period, if still tied, the ball is placed on the 3-yard line for a 2-point conversion try. That continues until a team has won the game.

Kirk will explain

8 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Everybody else:

PAC12 be like:

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

And they have ruled a field goal.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

What is the definition of a “blindside block”? Where would I find it?

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

The block Bolles laid on Cam Smith vs USC a couple years ago is now a penalty.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

I’m not so sure about that. I just watched the play and Smith saw Bolles for much of the time. He just chose to focus on CBB.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

I think it was legal as well, but Pac-12 officials like to let the rest of the NCAA know they are following the rules for some reason.  I remember yelling at Brady Quinn on my TV to shut up because he was saying something like “You could almost call that a block in the back.”  Or some BS.  I bet it would get called just because of the new focus.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I am assuming crack backs. Basically when you can’t see the block coming. 

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Hope that works as I’m posting on my phone. But it’s basically when a defensive player gets clocked without opportunity to defend themselves. Very similar to hitting a defenseless receiver.

I think these calls have been subject to targeting in the past, but usually only if the act is extremely egregious. Sounds like they will just be tightening up, which I think is good.

1 1

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

So… how do you block someone that isn’t watching for you? Just stop and let him make the tackle? The game is getting softer every year.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

When it isn’t your body on the line it is easy to say that. I think pads and helmets have made the hits too brutal.  The game needs to return to what it was based on: Rugby.  And if you want to talk about tackling and hitting they get it right.  Making sure there is a future for the game.

You can’t simply ignore CTE anymore.  

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NCAA rule changes for the 2019 season.