NCAA to grant extra year of eligibility?

Viewing 2 reply threads

tarheelio
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelio
      3 1

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

I think this is a ridiculous notion. 

Does this also mean the NCAA will allow the school to have an additional scholarship and additional player headcount for the year, for each returning senior?  If not, there stands to be another player, for each returning senior, who expected to have a scholarship next year, who will not be allowed to use it.  If they do, it penalizes a team that is restricted to the old headcount and scholarship totals – like the Utes, who have only graduating senior who was not a significant contributor and would probably opt out of an additional year. 

I question how many seniors would really want to take advantage of this extra year, so it may not make a big difference, but there could be some teams for whom this provides a dramaticcally unbalanced benefit.

Dante Guardi
        Ute Fan
        @danteg12

sounds to me that u just dont want to witness Payton Pritchard destroy the utes again

Hahnenwk
      Ute Fan
      @hahnenwk

This is awful it just shows that this is a total business and nothing approaching student athletics.

When I was young, many years ago, I repeated the media complaints that soviet athletes in the Olympics were not amateur but government supported. My father pointed out we had our own “professionals” masquerading as college students.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I don’t see it that way.  I see it as a way to address the clear disappointment in the athletes, especially seniors, that at the pinnacle of their career, they missed the opportunity to compete for a championship (basketball, gymnastics, skiing) or compete at all (baseball).    That said, how many seniors are going to stick around school and athletics another year rather than move on to the next phase of their lives and/or education.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc NCAA to grant extra year of eligibility?