Need Moar Football Talk

Viewing 7 reply threads

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Alright folks let’s start talking football. By week 4 _______ will be our starting quarterback because _______?

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

If Huntley doesn’t survive Washington?? Oh man what a sucky bunch of suck.  My assumption would be injury taking him down as any other scenario is ridiculous to me. No way Huntley loses his spot with that cupcake first three weeks. Sans Washington. 

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Washington is game 3. I’m operating under the assumption that Huntley will start for sure the first three games (barring injury). So, there are really four possiblities for my question I think:

1. We start 3-0 with an upset over Washington. Huntley is balling out and starts game four with no drama

2. Huntley plays great but gets injured at some point in the first three games, so either Tuttle or Shelley take over in game 4 (or earlier)

3. Huntley plays well enough to win the first two games, but not lights out and we are nervous heading into the Washington game. Huntley lays an egg and we lose. Does Whitt bench him at this point or give him more time, considering we have one of our best football recruits ever waiting in the wings?

4. Huntley plays well in all three games, but we still come up short in the Washington game. I think Huntley keeps his job if this is the case.

So, which of these four is the most likely? My prediction is either 2 or 4.

Johnny80
      Ute Fan
      @johnny80

Johnny80, the whiskey gives him false confidence. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Neither backup is capable of outperforming 2017 Huntley. If he goes down I think we are in for a young Travis year, with additional injuries to boot.

While wildly speculating, I think Shelley is more plug and play than our true frosh because of time in system and better legs. Lisk should have a shot top if we are just left trying to see what sticks for a year. I don’t think 2018 is worth burning a shirt.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

Based on Spring ball assesments you are probably correct. I’m hoping with the new redshirt rule we can get both Shelley and Tuttle some in game reps the first two games and see what they look like. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

The only ways Huntley isn’t starting in week 4 is if he is injured or if he were to be ineligible for some reason. Whit  didn’t invest an entire season in Huntley just to bench him for someone younger and less experienced the following season.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I think I tend to agree with that. I think Huntley would have to really crap the bed to get benched so early on in the season.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

It is either Huntley gets arrested or injured. There is no way his play will dictate him being benched. I just don’t see a scenario where he would. Unless he somehow gets worst in the RPO and ripping it from Moss’ mitts. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Week 4- Huntley will still be the starter because Harding and the o-line have figured out how to give the Florida Gatorade Player Of The Year time to throw the damn ball. Which sets up 2019 for a playoff run…

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Here’s my question:  What makes Huntley more likely to be injured than any other dual threat quarterback?  Khalil Tate, for instance, is listed at 6’2 208 and Huntley is 6’1 201.  Does Arizona have a much better offensive line?  Jon Wilner, the oft insufferable Pac-12 analyst seems to think we have the second best in our division?  Is everyone just tempering their expectations so as not to be disappointed?  BTW, anyone feel like starting a threat comparing conference quarterbacks?

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Tate and Huntley both missed games last season to injury. I think it is very likely to happen again this season.  

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Honest question, how common are quarterback injuries vs. other positions?  It seems like the stars rarely get hurt enough to miss games, I guess that’s what makes them stars, but I see Huntley as a potential star, and good enough to play with anyone.  He’s got the speed and athleticism to be a real running threat, and has that great zing on his passes.  Not perfect, but who is?  I’m just thinking of the names that got thrown around last year, Mayfield, Fromm, Hurts, Jackson.  I’m not saying he’s better or worse than any of them, but they lasted whole seasons.  QB injury seems like it should be more of an exception rather than a rule.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Utah in the Whitt era how many qbs didn’t miss a game to injury? 

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Huntley was caught from behind rolling out and was slammed down on the turf on his throwing side with the defender falling on him.  Extremely likely that most QB’s would be injured in that scenario.  That said, even with the AC sep. and collarbone hairline he only missed 3 games.  Brought him back a game too early against ASU obviously but he showed some serious toughness to come back that quickly.

He’s a dual threat kid, he’s gonna take some shots but he wasn’t ever injured running forward into normal contact.  One other thing is that he NEVER got hurt growing up…a big plus recruiting him.  He ran the same way then as he does now and there are plenty of big bodies in Florida.  

We’ve had some bad luck over the past number of years with our QB but he’s more durable than both Wilson (gamer) and Wynn were.  Outside of a non contact injury I think he lasts the season.

Duhwayne
          Ute Fan
          @duhwayne

Thx OnlyU

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

That’s typically a 6 week healing process, why bring him back too soon?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Good question…Probably because we lost by 3 at home to Stanford and by a point to SC on the road the 2 weeks prior. Went from 3-0 with Huntley to 3-2 with Williams. Williams also missed a wide open Carrington on the 2 pt play to win the game in the Colesseum so that probably pushed a decision with Tyler returning a week early IMO. Really the turning point in the season…staff/team lost a little confidence in Troy and it sucked the life out of the locker room. That one hurt on many levels.

Tyler didn’t have his normal arm strength the next week…not close to the zip he usually has, that affected route timing and we didn’t have a throw game. That POS Graham had our signals and they knew what was coming before it happened 40/50% of the time. Stacked the box and took the run away…game over.

I think the staff wanted to believe he was ready since he had played so well before he got hurt and they looked past the weakness. Miscalculation for sure on their part and a young team lost confidence heading to Oregon where we gave up 40 before righting the ship a little against UCLA and holding on the rest of the way.

noneyadb
              Ute Fan
              @noneyadb

What did Huntley miss the Colorado game for? Don’t believe anybody has stated what the reason was.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I am not saying he will get injured likelihood with Utah is above average though. Utah has had some weird luck for sure but he still needed 15 lbs of muscle in Spring ball correct? 

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Yep…you’re right. He’s putting on weight but his style definitely invites more contact than you probably want. He’s maturing, knows the offense better and has a better O-line this year. If the WR’s step up and are as good as their talent level suggests, teams won’t be able to take either the Run or the Pass away, especially with Tyler’s running ability. That’s what’s so exciting about the potential of this team the next two years. Pick your poison…gonna be tough to stop consistently.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Let’s be honest 15 lbs or not it matters on the line. That is where it needs to happen this season. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Huntley because he’s the best QB we have.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Can you make it so that a thumbs up or down from onlyu turns the thumb red?

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Need Moar Football Talk