Needs Improvement

Viewing 6 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

1. Kicking? OMG that was a nightmare. Badly missed FG and extra point. That makes it 34-12.
      2. Couple of drops right in the bread basket (including one defensively). Flashbacks of last year. Gotta catch those.
      3. Better start. We were flat offensively in the first half. Not unexpected.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Redding hasn’t had chances. Whitt talked about it in post game. He was leading during camp but was injured the past few weeks. It is a very similar story to Gay.  I ain’t worried. 

Drops. Yes. I am curious why Fotheringham wasn’t targeted. Ludwig was vanilla and he is already scheming for USC. These are just tune ups for that game. 

Utah’s offense was ok. Huntley and Moss said they were admittedly surprised by the three man front. Halftime adjustments blew TDS up easily. 

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

yeah… if BYU had kicked the EP instead of going for two, and if we had made ours, plus scored on that last drive like many coaches would have, I would have been right on with my prediction… oh well.

We need to get the kicking figured out, at least the extra points, that was pathetic. We have truly been spoiled in recent history.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Better start: Not worried about it. First games are always weird.
      Drops: Not worried about it. Kuithe will be coached about that. His brain was already in the endzone when he went to make that catch. Totally fixable.
      Kicking game: Worried about it.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I don’t know why. But I think Jason redding will be fine. Whit said he was the kicker until he got Hurt. Whitt used mercy last night night. Easily could have been 41-12 and if Burgess picks that ball 41-9. But 30-12 is TDS is good. I think they’re better than people think.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

The kicking game was bad but did anyone really think it would be as good as it has been? 

I agree that the offense was probably very vanilla and will be until we get to conference play. I would have loved to see a few more downfield passes early in the game but when Moss took over, we didn’t need them.

I think it is safe to say that the Covey of old is not something we will see again. He is no where near 100% and I don’t think we will seem him be the same. He did have that good punt return but didn’t do much else. I just don’t seem him being the same player unless he is only like 70% now, which means still a ways to go to be fully healthy.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Of course not, but missing extra points is not an option.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Omg talk about WAY overreacting. Nothing in that game says Covey won’t be the same. He look very good returning the ball. Huntley threw 16 times all game and 90% of them were to TEs and the RBs. Yeeesh this is a bad take.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Indeed we’ve been fortunate to have had “automatic” Andy Phillps followed by Matt Gay, both of whom won many awards.    But last night was really unsettling.  Would hate to lose a key Pac-12 battle due to a missed PAT.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

In the “needs improvement” category, I would also add 3rd down conversions. 23% last night is “poo poo”.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Needs Improvement