Viewing 10 reply threads

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

a couple of surprises for me.

I didn’t see Trey Reynolds or Luke Felix-Fualalo on the roster. I guess they are transferring? Anyone know anything?

Some of the transfers coming into the U are on it like Diabate and Morris but I didn’t see Logan Kendall or Gabe Reid? Im’ guessing they are finishing a semester of school?

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Conner O’Toole is a DE now?

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Yeah. That’s how loaded Utah is at WR. 😉

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Do we really have a 5-10, 221-lbs WR on our roster (Shuhei Mitsumoto)???  Or was that typo? 

5-10, 221???  WR???

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

His decision from what I understand. (Conner to DE)

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Watch out for Sione Vaki as per the Blockcast Podcast.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

“Medlock” is on the roster “in the mold of Giaonni Paul” as per Scalley.

https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/justin-medlock/13267

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Looks like Ethan Calvert is back. I heard rumors that his injury last year could have been career ending. Glad he’s on the roster for this spring.

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

How do you know that Ethan Calvert is back?

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Loaded at LB, TE, and RB.  A little light at DB and WR IMO.  Too bad we can’t trade.

I guess our new QB, Johnson is not on campus.  That makes sense because he is on the track team if I remember right.

The RB room is loaded with Tavion, Bernard, Curry, Glover, and Parks.  I won’t be surprised if one of these guys jumps to the portal after spring ball.  It will be tough to get them all playing time.

Go Utes!!!

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree, after Phillips, the CB pool is shallow. Broughton and Marks have yet to complete a full season at CB and are recovering from unknown season ending injuries. Bernard playing both ways at CB indicates the current CB players outside of CPIII, Broughton, and Marks as of now are career special teams players. Have to wonder what the other 7-8 CBs were doing last season in practice that resulted in Bernard having to go both ways in the Rose Bowl. Don’t recall any 2022 CB commits. We’ll find out early in the Florida game what the CB opposite Phillips will look like.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

You don’t believe Vaughn’s a viable option IF he remains healthy?

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

Vaughn and Mataele from an arm chair, fans perspective don’t seem to hold up against the top talented WRs in 1vs1 coverage, right now. If Utah is going to consistently compete as a top-20 program at some point they need to land more players like CPIII. Shah always seems to work his magic and has guys we don’t know about developing into all conference, NFL draft picks. I think the defense has the potential to be improved from last year even with losing Lloyd, Tafua, Seewll, and Davis.

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

We don’t agree on those two, which is fine.

However, I just noticed Vaughn’s listed on the roster as a S.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

Vaugh is moved to Safety on the current roster. 

Redblood
        Ute Fan
        @redblood

DE worries me the most. Our D is reliant upon getting pressure on the QB. And while there are many ways to accomplish that, it seems like our best defenses had at least one elite rusher. We lose Tafua this year. Would love to see us get a stud from the portal there. And Free safety.

MineralUte
          Ute Fan
          @mineralute

We did get a stud from the portal – he’s not on the roster yet, but Gabe Reid will be playing DE. With Fillinger and Reid we will be fine.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

Don’t forget Jonah Ellis and Redshirt frosh Tyler Wegis, who has a lot of potential. Johnny Fanaika too. I think DE will be fine.

Utahfan57
              Ute Fan
              @greeper

Ellis is a stud he’s gonna surprise fans this season.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Not sure about Felix. But Reynolds’s did not transfer. Went on his mission.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Also, we are just as loaded if. It more at DB. It’s insane how many dudes we have there

UteCoop
      Ute Fan
      @utecoop

Looks like Clark Phillips changed his number to 1! Cole Bishop changed from 6 to 8.Karene Reid to 21

Classic Ute
      Ute Fan
      @classicute

Jonathan Johnson, Nate’s brother, caught my eye.  He’s a 278 lb. freshman running back.  What do we know about him?

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

That’s got to be a typo. On the Northern Oklahoma website he is listed at 218…makes me wonder about Tavion Thomas being listed at 238. 

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Vaughn was listed at safety last year too…FYI

Broughton before his injury was likely ahead of where Clark was…hard to imagine I know but he’s a sure fire NFL guy if he’s able to stay healthy. I’m not worried about depth at CB at all. JT, ALowe (RIP), Marks, and Vaughn…left Savage, Lawler and LPJ and none of them were physically or mentally ready to play. I admittedly grit my teeth when I hear talk about using an RB at CB last year and that we should have had more playable depth. On any team you’ve ever played on can you honestly say that the 2nd guy in the 3 deep…the number 6 corner in this case would be ready to play? Physically or emotionally? It’s almost unheard of to reach that level at that position. Bernard stepped up and gave it his all. Best option at the time and doesn’t mean the other guys are bums…just not ready. Ok…got that off my chest.

A few tidbits…Kump is a non contact participant in Spring, part recovery and part protection – still believe he gets a serious look at C because like Daniels he can play multiple positions on the line…JaQuindon has put in a ton of work and is turning heads. Big time improvement out of him and it’s very noticeable. Team speed is noticeably better on the field…we’ve added some burners!

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Great news. I’d love to see Jackson take the 2 spot and take over for Cam in 23. I’m always pulling for my Utes, but given that he was pretty close to TJ and ALowe, I’m pulling a little harder for him.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Football Roster