New poll on the Troy Taylor offense

Viewing 2 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Just added a new poll with the question: Do you believe Troy Taylor’s offense would be successful in the Pac-12 assuming good player execution?

Vote in the poll module and feel free to discuss here.

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Last year we ranked 9th in scoring offense and 8th in total offense in the Pac-12. And that was with better execution than we are seeing this year.

Even with good player execution, I don’t see us finishing better than 5th or 6th in scoring offense or total offense with Taylor calling the plays.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I judge an offensive coordinator by how well he puts people in position to make plays. Let’s look at the series after the int that was run from the 11.

First play, off tackle to Moss – There was a cutback there for 4-5 years but Moss can’t make the cut because of his ankle.

Second play, underneath throw to Covey – This works as designed and Covey takes the ball to the two, so now Utah needs 1 yard for a first and two for a score to get back into the game.

Third play, everybody in the stadium, including Washington is thinking Utah power for the first or TD. Washington crashes, but Taylor has the perfect call with a seam route to the TE. Huntley throws the ball about 10 feet over the head of the receiver. If that ball is thrown properly it’s six (yes assuming Fotheringham can catch a wide open ball).

Fourth down, Washington again crashes. Taylor has called a middle run fake and a wheel route, again a correct call, but Huntley is just slightly off target, but still throws a catchable ball that (Nacua?) drops.

That whole series seems to me to be pretty good play calling, just poor execution.

Even on that last drive the fourth down play has a wide open receiver that Huntley throws to late an allows a defender to break up the pass. Not play calling, but execution.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

“Troy Taylor should know that his own players are s**tty and call a play that somehow works for their s**tty abilities.” Naysayers who know better but are not professional coaches.

This is what I don’t understand you can see his “high school” plays working. Yet it comes down to execution obviously. I would hope that in practice they are able to complete these plays before he decides to call them. 

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

If players cannot execute, even s**tty plays will not work. I disagree with your premise. If Taylor were calling plays that were extremely complex, I would agree, but these are not that tricky. Asking a player to catch a ball thrown to his hands is not complex. Asking a QB to throw 10 yards to an open receiver is not complex. These are D1 athletes, it is entirely reasonable to expect them to make simple pass and run plays. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Yes I am not saying that, the usual naysayers on the OC are. I don’t think it is a playcalling thing. Utah had excellent field position all but once and blew it most of the night. They drove down the field on a great Huntley big play and abandoned the rush after Moss sprained another ankle. Whitt commented today that Shyne hasnt earned the reps in practice so they don’t trust him enough on Gameday. That is what it is exactly guys are making plays in practice. 

Stone
              Ute Fan
              @stone

Ah, got it. Totally misread your post.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I would have prefered we line up on 3rd and 4th and give the ball to Moss and get one yrd.  Should be able to do it 99 percent of the time. It’s a lot higher percent call then getting cute with the play action. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New poll on the Troy Taylor offense