Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

That was unexpected

4 1

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

I agree. I think we need WRs and Safeties.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Excellent size and speed.  Highly recruited out of high school.  Interesting to see how it all fits together.  

cjd1
        Ute Fan
        @cjd1

Yep had offers from Alabama, Ohio State ,Georgia, etc

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Why did Alabama recruit anyone who was not at least a 4-star player?

Sounds like Thomas is a big, strong kid.  This may help us in short-yardage situations.  Apparently, he played LB in high school.  Will there be a position change?

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Unexpected but I’m thrilled. Kid looks like a stud. I’m sure there are more lingering-in-the-shadows guys that aren’t public yet for whatever reason which made the Utah staff comfortable with offering this kid.

Guys. 4 NFL potential running backs.

Yet another incredible day to be a Ute.

PAC12Teams
        Ute Fan
        @utahbb

I think he also is a guard in basketball…

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Is his dad a coach looking for a job?

OldAsDirtUte
            Ute Fan
            @oldasdirtute

Sounds like Tony has got his sense of humor back! (Hope you’re feeling better!)

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

because of COVID I think he has 3 years of eligibility left.  Can anyone confirm?

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

There’s rumors the kid has attitude problems. We will see. I can’t imagine KW wanting to take on head cases. Maybe those rumors aren’t true.

UtahMan17
        Ute Fan
        @utahman17

He has for sure had attitude problems before, but he’s an NFL talent and Utah wants to go all in with Brewer’s one season. The hope is that he can get himself right and dominate. Bernard may eventually be an NFL guy, but our two transfer RBs are just solid college players and aren’t going to scare anybody. This guy raises the ceiling of our offense and the staff believes he is just a talent you can’t ever pass up. We’ll get safeties and WRs later. 

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Wait a min…Tavion Thomas is being brought in to potentially be our bell cow RB1?? If he’s that good, why is he only rated as a high 3* prospect out of HS? All reports I’ve read is he’s a solid back and a good get by Kiel McDonald that was brought in to add depth to our RBs room. I haven’t seen anything that points to Thomas being above any of our other stable of backs (Bernard, Pledger, Curry, or Parks)…am I missing something??

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

He also had offers from Ariz St, Ore, USC, Iowa, Mich, Mich St, Neb, Ohio St, Pur, Wisc, Ark, UGa, UKy, LSU, Miss St, L’ville, Pitt, Iowa St, Okla, Tex, and WVa coming out of HS.

This is absolutely an outstanding pickup.

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

So is he coming in to add depth or be our RB1?

UtahMan17
            Ute Fan
            @utahman17

He would’ve gone to Oklahoma (where he was previously committed) or Ohio State (where he took an official visit the week before signing day) if he didn’t have grade issues. Cincy was willing to work with him on them, and he came in and was a stud right away for them. No telling if he’s still that level player after attitude issues and JUCO, but his tape still looks good in my opinon. Looks like he’s gained a little bad weight though.

The fact our staff added him to an already solid RB room should tell you all you need to know bout how good they think he is. We already have 3 proven P5 RBs and 4 star freshman coming in, no reason to add him unless he has potential to be better than them all. 

Is he risky? Abosulutely. But our staff rarely ever takes on risky guys, so clearly they think his talent is worth the risk. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Ute RB transferring in.