Nice DesNews article

Viewing 3 reply threads

UtahPilot47
      Ute Fan
      @utahpilot

We have a stacked QB room. Will it finally pay off?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Can’t hurt.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Four four stars in the QB room is new for us.

Whitt pretty much named Brewer the front runner for this year.

“We’re ecstatic that he’s here,” Whittingham said. “He’ll be the guy in spring ball that will get the majority of the reps.”

Sounds to me like they think 2021 is the year for a run. Train is approaching the station folks.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

It’s actually three 4-stars in the QB room.  Rising, Costelli, and Jackson.  Bentley is already gone, Brewer was a 3-star guy, and Cooper had only 2.

But your point still stands.  This definitely IS new for us.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

I don’t get frontrunner from Whit’s comments.  Again, Brewer’s stats are not great, they are similar to Bentley’s.  I think Brewer is a high floor, low ceiling guy.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Rising is out until Fall and Jackson isn’t arrivin until the summer I believe.
          Frontrunner would be Brewer I imagine with Costelli getting valuable reps.

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

JQJ is on campus now. Spring reps help Brewer, but Rising still has 2 years in the program and won the job last year. If Rising isn’t fully healed, then I think Brewer’s the guy too, but if both are healthy I’m taking Rising.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

One important difference between Brewer/Bentley is that Bentley was a TO-machine going all the way back to his time at SC….Clearly not a fair comparison.

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

Both Brewer and Bentley had completion rates in the low 60’s.  Bentley’s TD to Int ratio was 2 to 1 with Brewer’s only slightly better at around 2.5 to 1 and against worse defenses.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Were those SEC defenses actually better than BigXII defenses, as well as the non-conference opponents they faced, or are you just going off of the SEC reputation?

Yergensen
                Ute Fan
                @yergensen

D T
                  Ute Fan
                  @azute1

Bentley’s MO continued per his reputation against P12 Ds….I’d bet my bottom dollar Brewer fares much better against similar Ds.

Yergensen
                    Ute Fan
                    @yergensen

Stats indicate differently.  

Look, I don’t want to disparage Brewer or any not for pay player.  I’m simply suggesting to look at transfers objectively (eg stats/performance, why are they transferring, injury history, what talent do we already have, etc) before projecting transfers as day 1 starters and even stars.

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

JQJ won’t be playing until Fall correct? Unless that changed, I like his skill set more than Brewer. I was hoping for him to get a lot of reps.
                      I would say right now Brewer is the number one QB. Costelli is two. It may be just because of default. I don’t think Whitt was saying much beyond the reality of the situation.
                      As far as comparing Brewer to Bentley. Best way to compare them both is against the top talent in their conference. Both are very underwhelming I think. Bentley was an absolute train wreck though imo he did have flashes. Which I think tarnishes a bit of what I think of Rising.

If I am being honest I want JQJ or Costelli next season. Hope the Oline solidifies itself and we are looking at 9 wins.

D T
                      Ute Fan
                      @azute1

I’m talking about P12 Ds & I stand by my wager….We can revisit this after the season, because what I witnessed from Bentley w/my own eyes was just plain awful….And it’s not as if he wasn’t surrounded by an otherwise solid team….I’m certainly not making Brewer out to be some superstar, IF he even wins QB1, but I can’t fathom another U QB equaling Bentley’s futility….Not under Ludwig’s tutelage.

Jake
        Ute Fan
        @jutahfootball

Brewer will get the majority of reps because Rising won’t be able to yet, don’t read into that too much.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Just like last year, Brewer has lots of experience but if either freshmen pass him they move up the depth chart.  Rising has the avantage of getting to QB1 last year, but he will miss spring ball.  There are lots of great possibilities and I expect I will like the next QB1.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Nice DesNews article