NIL And The Transfer Rule

Viewing 5 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I think NIL is OK.  

I think the transfer rule is OK. 

But the two together is a lethal combo.  

Players will follow in the Oklahima kids footsteps and get really good at a program and then use the transfer rule to just go cash in on some NIL….  I’m extremely nervous this will drive more proven talent up to who’s cutting the checks further killing any parity and greatly diminishing the ability for smaller and middle tier schools to climb the ladder…

I think That just maybe we should shelve the transfer rule….

thoughts and opinions on where this goes?

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I just wonder about how much of this was already happening. Obviously deals like built bar with byu-p wouldn’t happen but stuff to individuals from people with big amounts to give definitely were doing stuff like this already with high school kids. Transferring kids I don’t think as much though.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

The Arizona recruiting class gives me the heebie- jeebies. Something dirty this way comes.

4 2

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Personally, I don’t have a problem with the transfer rules. Any student is free to change schools with the only penalty being that some credits may not be applied at the new school. Additionally, any student athlete in any sport besides Football and Men’s Basketball has been free to transfer just like every other student without restriction. I won’t even get in to coaches being able to seek out new employment while under contract with their current school.

For years, Football and Men’s Basketball coaches used the ability to restrict where athletes could transfer and when – often designating up to 20 schools that the athlete could not transfer to – which was completely unfair. All the one free transfer rule did was attempt to make it equal for all parties. It still isn’t, but it is better.

It really comes down to “your” desire to have consistency with the players in the program v. the kid’s ability to maximize his potential. I can change my job at any time I please but for some reason I am supposed to be on board with ~95 kids at each school having to abide by a decision they made as a 17 or 18 year old?

If you are going to make the rules the same for everyone.,, Coaches, Players, Non-Athlete Students, I’m fine with that. But when it comes down to what you desire for your entertainment against what happens in their life, I’m going to be on the athlete’s side every time. And I will always support a kid making a choice, realizing that it is not going as he hoped and having the ability to make another choice without penalty, just like everyone else in this world. Your or anyone else’s complaining about roster turnover shouldn’t even register when these kids are making their decision(s).

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t think there is a perfect answer.

Abolishing the NCAA is the first step. 

I like the transfer rule and don’t at the same time.  

I believe nothing drastic will be done but should. Clubs is current trajectory though. No longer make them student athletes. Which lets be honest some of the big athlete names cheat to get into schools. So just eliminate the student athlete tag. 

It doesn’t solve the problem for sports that don’t generate a lot of revenue. The U makes money off of the Red Rocks.  

Complicated issue for sure with so many factors. This year has proven beyond a doubt that Bowls don’t matter. Even the Rose Bowl turns away top talent.

Not a fan of the NFL at all and College football is headed to a death imo. I wouldn’t be a fan if some local rich fan paid for Caleb Williams to Utah. I do think there is a certain amount of risk you have to take as an athlete and you don’t demand an immediate return on all of it. Caleb Williams didn’t build whatever program he chooses but stands to benefit more than athletes before him. 

Crow
        Ute Fan
        @crow

It allows the P5 to poach G5 talent

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Yeah the big name schools were always cheating to get big recruits and that’s not changing now, the issue is that this new system opens the door for a scenario like if a no name recruit like Devin Lloyd goes to Utah gets developed and then transfers the last year or two to the highest bidder like a mercenary. At that point teams outside the top 10-15 become farm teams. NIL wasn’t supposed to be pay for play but the lines are blurring. I hope the NCAA comes down big on teams that are offering money like in the Caleb Williams situation.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I’m not sure what needs to be done to help improve parity in college football/basketball. But I’m definitely all for the players and anything that makes things more fair for them is a good thing.

It seems like the NCAA should only be involved with the Olympic sports. And the conferences should come together and agree to have a governing body with a commissioner over football and basketball. I think this would help more than anything to enforce fairness as well as make changes that are in the best interest of the players as well as the sport. The NCAA just isn’t able to act fast enough and lacks the power necessary to effectively govern the revenue sports ever since the P5 broke away and became autonomous conferences.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football NIL And The Transfer Rule