NIT Rule Changes

Viewing 3 reply threads

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I would like to see the option for a team to decline shooting free throws in favor of continuing a possession.  I hate the foul-to-stop-the-clock strategy at the end of close games.  Turns the game into a boring free-throw shooting contest.  Fouling should never give an advantage to the team committing the foul.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

I’m with you, but at the same time, I like the idea that there is a pathway to the comeback.  Without the foul, comebacks would be nearly impossible because you have to play so aggressive that you would foul, and with every foul, they would reset the shot clock to 20 sec if the offense deferred the free throws.  The foul forces the change of possession.

The thing I am uncertain of is doing away with the 1 and 1.  I wish they would do 1 and 1 after 4 and up to 6.  The idea of making one to get a second is a reward for good free throw shooting and a nice punishment if you suck.  

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’d say after 4 FT’s in the last two minutes, the team that is fouled gets a FT and the ball. 

AllInUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @allinutefan

They could resurrect the old “3 to make 2” from the NBA way back when as an additional double bonus 🙂  Strategically, I don’t mind the fouling, as long as teams don’t do it when they’re down 15 points with 30 seconds left. 

All in all, the linked changes aren’t really experimental, more just copying what is already happening in the NBA. Except instead of calling the four 10 minutes segments “quarters” the NCAA constructed a workaround.  

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

Speaking of the NIT:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2017/02/nit-bracketology-feb-13-2017/

NIT Bracket:

1. Virginia Tech
      8. UCF
      4. Mississippi
      5. Penn St.
      3. Ohio St.
      6. Memphis
      2. Clemson
      7. Iowa

1. Arkansas
      8. San Diego St.
      4. Texas Tech
      5. Auburn
      3. Alabama
      6. UT Arlington
      2. Georgia Tech
      7. Mississippi St.

1. Indiana
      8. Colorado
      4. Boise St.
      5. BYU
      3. Utah
      6. New Mexico
      2. Illinois St.
      7. Texas A&M

1. Seton Hall
      8. College of Charleston
      4. Georgetown
      5. Pittsburgh
      3. Providence
      6. Illinois
      2. Georgia
      7. Temple

I’d love New Mexico in the Huntsman, would bring back great memories.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Gah, we have a chance to play against BYU, if that happens the post-season gods have it out for us.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.