No more two-a-days

Viewing 2 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

New NCAA regulations prohibit teams from having two-a-days going forward. I know Whitt is a big fan of them. Not sure how many people listened to Hackett and Andy’s podcast where they address the traditional November collapse of the football team; but they specifically cited a rigorous practice schedule that included two-a-days and the resulting burnout as a possible reason for the end of season dip in performance.

My guess is that two-a-days happen in pre-season only, not after the season has kicked off. But maybe this will affect how Whitt approaches mid-season practices.

Or maybe it’s just the offseason and I’m grasping at straws for any/all football related news…

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

I thought Hackett said he was a work-out slouch?  Still collapsed due to 2-a-days?

Actually I am surprised to hear Whitt was doing 2-a-days into the season (sorry, I guess I wasn’t paying attention if this was discussed previously).

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

The PAC-12 already banned then a couple years ago so this doesn’t affect us at all. 

Two a days is an antiquated way of doing things. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

From what I understand, you can still have two practices in a day, but only one contact/padded practice, which is what the PAC-12 rules already were. 

I do think the new rule allows helmets and footballs in the second practice which is more liberal than the PAC -12…i think. 

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

Ah, I had no idea that the PAC had already regulated this. The article I read made it sound like Whitt was slightly upset about losing two-a-days, but appreciated being able to use footballs in the second practice to make it more than just a walk through.

Appreciate the info. The more you know!

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Yeah, I think the PAC-12 went to these rules a year or two ago. 

Hey, never feel bad about football talk! We need more!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football No more two-a-days