Not sure if losing Bumphis was a bad thing or not

Viewing 5 reply threads
      3 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Mostly the timing just kind of stinks. The WR group didn’t make any noticeable improvement under him. The recruiting wasn’t great, but not horrible either. Hard to know how much of that is a result of his coaching, or just the scheme/reputation of Utah football.

The only way our WRs make any meaningful push forward is if we make a flashy hire. I’d love to have Steve Smith Sr. for obvious reasons, not sure what his thoughts on the idea are. Someone like him could potentially bring in elite level talent.

I don’t know enough about the coaching world to know who else would be available.

Herk
      Ute Fan
      @herk

I’ve lost any hope that we will ever see a dominant WR group at Utah. I’m not sure I care that much though. I’ve been happy these last few years with great Tight Ends and Running Backs.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

Bumphis was great and he was building momentum.  Great programs lose people (especially to their alma maters).  If we could keep him that would clearly be good.

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

As many on this board have pointed out the recievers are an opportunity for improvement and have been for some time. I can’t help but think the writing is on the wall here.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Whitt should be approaching David Shaw. He can recruit, improve the WR’s and take over as OC when Ludwig retires.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Approaching him is probably a good idea. Not sure he’d go for it, but he might. I know they have a ton of respect for each other. I’d think he’d be offered an OC job somewhere better first though. Depends on what he’s looking for tbh.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I would argue the WR’s did improve under him.  The current WR’s block a helluva lot more than they did a few years ago before he got here.  HOWEVER, their route running and fight to get open was not great at all.  

I thnk what we will miss is his recruiting in parts of the country we really haven’t before  in the MO and MI areas

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Not sure if losing Bumphis was a bad thing or not