Now we have an offense and are more balanced, how good are we?

Viewing 2 reply threads

Warrior Ute
      Ute Fan
      @warriorute

I was looking at the PAC-12 stats on Massey Ratings.  I noted that in conference play.  We are number 2 in both average points for and points against. 

Points for WSU is number 1 with 38.5. (This is aided by their 56 they put up against OSU)  We tie for second with Oregon at 30.8.

Points against Washington is number 1 with 18.8.  We are number 2 with 21.8.

Our offense in the last 3 games has scored above the other teams average points allowed, Stanford +16, Arizona +18, USC +16

If you look at the difference between points for vs points allowed the conference plays out this way.

Utah            +8.8

Washington  +8.5

WSU            +7.8

Stanford       +2.2

ASU             +1.7

Colorado       +1.0

UCLA            +0.5

Oregon         even

USC             -1.8

Arizona        -1.8

Cal               -3.2

OSU             -27.5

As an observation playing OSU really pads your stats, even without this help and playing arguably the one of the most difficult conference schedules we still come out number one.   

If we can stay balanced I think we have a good chance at winning the South and the Conference Championship.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Right now, we are easily the best team in the conference. Easily. Versus Washington and UW? We were the 3rd or 4th best team. 

Right now, we are rolling. Absolutely rolling. The WSU probably costs us a playoff spot though. 

Warrior Ute
        Ute Fan
        @warriorute

That phantom block in the back is really painful.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Yeah, and the missed throw by Simpkins. sad tear rolls down my face….

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Think of it this way: 

We had three terrible plays/TO’s that gave USC 21 points. And still won by two TD’s. 

Terrible Play (TP) #1: TO on downs at the 50 yard line, USC hail mary’s it for a TD. TP #2: Huntley fumbles, some irrelevant player runs it back for a TD. TP #3: Punt blocked, in Utah’s redzone, TD. 

How many games can you GIFT USC 21 points and still win by 13 points? And have the game never really be close? 

We are good. 99 times out of 100, if we gift USC 21 points we lose by 14+ points. 

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Have to love how we responded to some of the mistakes.

After the defensive score on the fumble to put the Trojans up 14-0, Covey has a nice runback and then a few plays later, Huntley hits Covey who turns away from a tackle and streaks to the end zone to give us a huge momentum boost.

After the fumbled punt gives them a short field, the defense holds them and makes an interception on fourth down.

After the blocked punt and quick score, the first play from scrimmage, Huntley hits Dixon for about 50 yards and we drive down for another TD to seize the momentum right back again.

Staples
            Ute Fan
            @staples

That Huntley throw to Dixon might have been my favorite play of the game. In the past we probably stay conservative, try to run some clock and in the end most likely make the game even closer. Instead we immediately go back on the offensive and as you said, seize the momentum right back.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

That has been the best pass to Dixon all year. A little bit more in stride and he takes it to the house. 

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

There is something that nobody has been talked about after USC went up 14-0. Directly after I mean. After they scored that 2nd TD, they got called for an excessive celebration penalty that was enforced on the kickoff. That’s why Covey was able to make that really good kickoff return that got Utah to midfield: because USC was forced to kickoff from 15 yards farther back, making it more likely for Utah to actually return the kickoff. If you’ve noticed this year, Utah almost never returns the kickoff. They usually just let it to go out of the endzone for a touchback or they call a fair catch. Had USC not excessively celebrated after they scored that second touchdown, that kickoff likely goes out of the endzone instead of being returned back to the 50 yard line, thus nullifying Utah’s great field position, which led to our first touchdown. Just a terrible mistake right there. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I know we are excited. But lets just focus on winning the south.

mokus
        Ute Fan
        @mokus

We arent’ the players. We can enjoy the fantasy a little!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Now we have an offense and are more balanced, how good are we?