Observations, Thoughts, and Utah Football going forward

Viewing 4 reply threads

SackLakeCity
      Ute Fan
      @sacklakecity

After watching the game last night I had one thought that kept coming in my head….it was that Utah is one of them.  It was no longer a thought of if Utah belonged in the PAC-12, but how Utah is one of them.  Utah has carved out an identity within the conference that no matter if they lose they will give it everything they got and will beat the hell out of the opponent. It may not reflect on the scoreboard all the time, but the conference respects Utah and no on wants to play them. 

I thought it was interesting to hear USC this weeks talk about how it considers Utah a rival, I think a couple more years of games like last night and it will become a legit rivalry that is talked about not just in passing, but during the off season.  I think this also goes for Stanford, a budding legit rival.  Who would have thought 10 years ago or even when they first joined the conference that USC would consider Utah a rival.  We truly live in the Golden Age of Utah Football.  

The next steps…I think with the exception of about 5 programs, college football teams hit highs and then lows.  I think Utah is to a point where every 3 years or so it can have a truly remarkeable season.  I think the recipe for this is a veteran special QB and a couple of defensive stars to cause turnovers.  I see in those seasons that Utah not only beats the hell out of teams on the field, but also on the scoreboard.  I see Utah taking little step by little step to get there and the reason is because Whitt is the coach and depth has improved.  

Great time to be a Ute!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Great post. Yes we are a legit Pac-12 team now. Couldn’t say that a few years ago. Even when we struggle we still have a chance to win conference games.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Thank you for your optimistic and positive take. It is very much appreciated. You raise some great points.

SackLakeCity
        Ute Fan
        @sacklakecity

my take is the last couple of years is that Utah on the offensive end lucked into some top end talent, mainly Booker and Joe Williams and had a QB with one elite skills, Travis Wilson’s read option. This won games for Utah, but they struggled in November because they road these horses too much.  And really they did luck into these players, who knew Booker would be Booker and Williams would retire and do what he did.  

Utah is always tough on the defensive end, but as well had a lot of top end talent (defensive line, linebackers (Paul, Norris), but also lacked depth when they went down and hence struggled in November.   I feel Utah will always be tough on the d-line, but to keep at the top level need a consistent pass rush threat that can make the big sack when needed. 

I feel now that Utah has the depth or will solve that problem in the next 2-3 years on defense and don’t see that too much of a problem after that with exception to the occasional down year or missed recruit.  I think there are indicators of this, Jaylon Johnson picking Utah as an example of this, Utah is become a destination defensive school.  

Back to the offense, for Utah to beat the hell out of people on the field and on the scoreboard they need to some how get that top end offensive talent whether it be by luck or landing a top recruit.  It is too early to tell, but Huntley could be that top end talent if he can stay healthy, the way Moss ran last night, he can be that top end talent,  and too bad Carrington is gone this year.

Ute-angle
          Ute Fan
          @ute-angle

With what we have seen from the young receivers this year, they look more like top end offensive talent, than years past.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Very well said. I could not agree more with what you wrote.

SackLakeCity
        Ute Fan
        @sacklakecity

Utah may have less wins this year overall, but is in a much better position with the team and program moving forward. 

I actually think it is just a matter of time with the Utah system that Utah starts having some dominant years.  I think it has just taken this long to get the PAC-12 talent and  Utah’s work ethic, player development, culture, and dominant defense can overcome some of the natural advantages of USC.  I look forward to when the stars align and Utah has its own version of 2008 & 2004 in the PAC 12.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I think the key is to build PAC 12 level talent depth. You could tell that we were gassed at the end on defense. If you look at the conference the teams that are consistently at the top have that depth to overcome injury and still have enough left to handle long stretches where they have to rotate players in at key spots.

SackLakeCity
        Ute Fan
        @sacklakecity

I think 2-3 more years and they are there.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Observations, Thoughts, and Utah Football going forward