OC in waiting?

Viewing 4 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

It occurred to me that Ludwig is kind of on the old side. He’s basically said (IIRC) that he’s done when Kyle is done. So… who’s next up? I hated the idea of retreads before Ludwig worked out fantastically well, now I’m okay with it.

The only guy currently on staff that has any chance at tge job (were it to become available tomorrow) is Harding… which I’m sort of okay with?!?!?…? Fred Jr.???

anyone else NOT on staff we should keep our eyes on?

2 1

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Can’t think of anyone on the current staff (not necessarily a bad thing). I was hoping for Brian Johnson at one point, but he might be too big to come back as an OC now.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

BJ would be great.  But, I think he is taking the NFL route now.

How about former NFL head coach Mike McCoy?  He is a former Ute and now the QB coach at Jacksonville.

I like Fesi Sitake.  Former OC at Weber and now WR coach and passing coordinator at BYU.  I know he has had conversations with Utah in the past.  Fesi is also a great recruiter.

There are plenty of good candidates that would be interested I’m sure.  I feel confident that Scalley will be our next HC.  So, it will have to be someone who gets along with Scalley.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

I would hope the status of that future OC position would attract someone with direct and successful OC experience at a high level or even HC not someone who’s never been or has limited experience at OC.

2 7

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

As most people have indicated on the board, with the advent of NIL, this is probably our last season to be valuable. So, attracting high level anything will become increasingly difficult. Please make me change my mind on this. Thank you in advance.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

Anyone have a counter to this comment, please?

3 1

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

BJ would be great. Truer words have never been spoken.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I tell my wife all the time I’d like BJ to come back.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

It’s amazing how well and offensive coordinator works when there’s talent on offense.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

We are at the point that the next OC must have play calling experience, which is very different from coaching.  It does go hand in hand with QB coach.  It would take years of experience to be in the neighborhood Ludwig is in and there is no reason to go backwards.  Our experience has taught us it is a crapshoot to hope a playcaller from a lower level translates to success at this level.  Meyer was a rare find that translates to success quickly while moving up.  BJ is awesome, when he was here he was only laking experience which he how has.  I believe his wife is from here which along with his own good experiences may help draw him.  Let’s start with successful play callers, the higher level the better.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Mike Leach!  Only ‘Bama coaches don’t get fired in the SEC, so by that time, he should be available.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Please no… I’d take just about anyone over that dude. I’m beyond tired of his personality, and penchant for publicly shaming his players.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OC in waiting?