OC: Who is your ideal get? Who is your realistic get? Who will we actually get?

Viewing 10 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Ideal: Urban (duh!). How I wish he could be our next Dennis Erickson. How about Matt Canada? Not happening.

Realistic: Is a G5 OC (Memphis, Houston, etc.) a realistic option? How about Ohio (not tOSU) or Appalachian State? Admittedly, I don’t know much about these OCs or what kind of offense they run, but they all have a Top-20 scoring offense. Bottomline, a proven outside hire from lower ranks *should* be realistic, but will it happen? Harlan, show us your magic!

Actual: Harding. I have mixed feelings about this one.

4 1

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Frankly, I do not want Harlan involved with this. IMO, an athletic director should hire/fire head coaches, the coaches should then have reign to hire/fire their staff. To do otherwise undermines the head coach.

Also, I am fine with looking at outside-the-box hires, but if (and this is a big IF) it is true that Harding was the one calling the plays for the great stretch of offense this year, then I want to stick with that. I do not want the players/team starting another new system, particularly when there was a stretch this year when a successful system finally seemed to develop.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

I guess I totally disagree. I want Harlan to help Whitt out as much as possible. Maybe even just introduce them once he’s hired. 

2 1

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Mike McCoy ————-
      If troy was after Drew to be a qb for him 2 weeks ago glad he left!!!!!!!!!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I feel like it will be Harding or he will leave if he isn’t given the assignment. 

Ideally Urban sounds wonderful but I don’t even know if it would work. Urban is a leader type A personality. Don’t know if it meshes well with Whitt at his current status. I would love that Oline coach for Stanford that I posted about earlier. I want what Stanford has I think you can compete with that model. Not have a GREAT qb. Clearly have an eye for line and RB talent. Get huge WR that just play basketball downfield. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I dunno. Stanford sounds nice…but win wise, we are almost at the same level as they are since  2014. And their recruiting is MILES ahead of where ours is. 

Since 2014, we’ve won 44 games, they’ve won 47. And they have played in one extra game that we haven’t. 

I’m not sure they are the secret to success. And I don’t think we can recruit the OL to run their offense. Or the high level WR that is needed. Or the high level TE. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I would take three extra wins. Utah can replicate Stanford. Utah already has the big fairly athletic Oline down. 

alharmon
      @alharmon

Ideal: Mike McCoy or Brian Johnson

Realistic: I agree a successful G5 OC should be realistic and I wouldn’t mind bringing in someone like that if Whitt believes they will be successful here.

Actual: Harding. I would be surprised if it actually ends up being someone else.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Ideal: McCoy

Realistic: Yost

Actual: Harding

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

I think Harding would be a good one — love the way he works the players from the bench — qb coach?

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Ideal: Me

Realistic: Tony

Likely: Pace Manyung 

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

Dreaming: Alex Smith. Who says no?
      Realistic: Some FCS/high school/G5 nobody
      Likely: Harding, I guess.

stonguse
        Ute Fan
        @stonguse

Alex Smith is under contract right now.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

I’m all in for Yost

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

I’m all in for Yost

Could we get Love as a set?

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

As a player? He can retire tomorrow. Doubt there’s any COI between being an NFL player, and then a CFB coach.

ETA: Just thinking about it. He’s got quite a lot of recovery to do, after that gruesome infection. 🙁

stonguse
            Ute Fan
            @stonguse

I’m guessing if he retires he loses the remaining contract

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

$71M Guaranteed.

stonguse
                Ute Fan
                @stonguse

Guaranteed just means that he still gets paid if he gets injured. It doesn’t mean he can just stop showing up to work whenever he wants and still take a check. I’m assuming he’s going to rehab and see where he’s at. If he can’t go a year from now, they might make him a deal but it’s not at the point yet. He’s not going to be the offensive coordinator for this opening. I guarantee it.

Grimmetal
          Ute Fan
          @grimmetal

Honestly, if I’m Alex Smith and I’m recuperating from an alleged near-amputation of my leg due to the freaking bone sticking out of the skin, then I’m taking my guaranteed $71 million and retiring. No more having to put my health on the line for the money because it’s already there. Take a nice coaching job and enjoy life.

I know that’s not usually how athletes are wired, but hopefully it’s a wakeup call for him.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Alex Smith is very well respected and could be an NFL coach. I am serious. 

Dante Guardi
      Ute Fan
      @danteg12

I know that Harding and ARod were “Co-OCs” in 2016. Not sure who was calling most of the plays, in pretty sure it was ARod just because of the amount of hate he got, but if it was harding, I sure as hell dont want him.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

My ideal get would be me, because let’s be honest, I can’t be much worse than what we’ve had in the past. Then I can find out the secret identity of onlyU and lord it over yall.

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

KNEEEEL!!!

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

How did you know that would replace the old “take a knee” statement?

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Then I’d sit down after getting the job in the OC’s office and say, “Everything comes to he who waits. And I have waited…so very long for thisssss moooment.”

After drubbing UW by like 40 points I’d say to the opposing DC, “Where is your strength? Where has it gone?”

I like this plan more and more.

Chidojuan
              Ute Fan
              @chidojuan

Ultimate crossover idea, after we win the Pac-12, grab the trophy from Whitt and yell “I HAVE THE POWER!!!”

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

It is decided. OnlyU, put my name in the ring for OC!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OC: Who is your ideal get? Who is your realistic get? Who will we actually get?