Offensive Tempo

Viewing 3 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I was concerned about the tempo Taylor planned on implementing but was pleased to see the offensive tempo Thursday night. Other than maybe two times, I thought we looked like we were moving quickly when it was advantageous and slowed things down likewise. At no point did I think we were moving at a breakneck pace where we were out of control or going fast for the sake of going fast.

The two times I can think of where I maybe didn’t like our tempo had more to do with the play call than the actual tempo. A couple of times after first downs we hurried to the line and ran the ball for little gain. I would have liked to see us run something a little more intricate than hand offs up the middle.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

In addition to that, we never seemed to have any issues getting the play called and into the offense. No clock issues at all.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Yep. It’s only one game against an FCS team, but I already like Taylor’s instincts and game management.

LVUte
        Ute Fan
        @texute

Yes! Thank goodness. Watching TAMU’s total breakdown vs UCLA made me grateful for this. Sumlin could’ve slammed the door so many times, but they gave an extra 3 minutes or so by throwing instead of killing clock. Horrible coaching.

Like y’all said it’s only one game, but coach Taylor is gonna do great here, and with all the talk about him going on lately, let’s not forget the man in charge of the ship. Coach Whitt is without a doubt in my mind the most underrated coach in the country.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Just remember who Utah was playing. Taylor is going to thrash BYU with intricate plays. 

2 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I never understood the “oh, Taylor is a GHGF guy”. 

Last year, we ran 75 plays per game. Taylor ran 80 at EWU. 

The difference? Probably a couple of ARod three and outs. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

What Taylor wants to do is to quickly get to the line because you then restrict the defense from subbing. Once you get to the line, you don’t have to snap it right away. 

You survey the defense, call a play, then go. But this strategy severely limits what the defense can do matchup wise. Especially along the lines. 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Exactly. It’s not necessarily about pace, but maximizing everything you can to gain an advantage over the defense. I’m all about this. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

The difference could also be E. Washington’s defense.

Were they allowing their opponents to average 70-80 plays per game as well? If they were, that is going to limit the number of plays EWU is able to run.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Offensive Tempo