Ok so it sounds like Harlan is in favor of keeping BYU on the schedule

Viewing 4 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

But what are the chances he demands a 2 for 1? It appears to me that Utah has all the leverage. I know it sounds a little arrogant but:

1. We’re a P5 and shouldn’t have a hard time finding OOC games. Yeah, maybe Michigan isn’t knocking on the door asking for a home and home but there are other teams similar to BYU that would love to have us on their schedule.

2. The BYU game does nothing for us at this point. Do any of you feel a sense of accomplishment today knowing we beat them? I don’t. Did we just land a big recruit who was torn between us and them? Probably not. It’s nice to be able to talk trash to co-workers but that’s about it. On the other hand, BYU beating us is a big deal for them. At the very least it helps their recruiting in state, although Utah would still seem like the better choice in many ways.

If Harlan went to Holmoe and said “yeah we’ll continue playing you… But we want a 2 for 1” Holmoe is either going to agree to it, because they need that game, or he’s going to tell Harlan to pound sand and Harlan can say he tried to extend the series but Holmoe wouldn’t agree. Either way I feel like we, at the very least, break even.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

We really need to have Only 1 in state game a year, no FCS teams, and alternate between TDS and USU.  I’m fine never playing TDS again but realistically the arguments favor alternating between G5 opponents in state.  

Having only 3 OOC games we need better national coverage and that can be done with some scrub P5 opponents from other conferences or at least better G5 locations where we heavily recruit (TX & FL)

Hoo Ray Who?
        Ute Fan
        @mattybumbo

THIS. I’m firmly in the ‘keep the game’ part of the fanbase, but let’s rotate the in-state schools and get more OOC games where we recruit. BYU makes a hell of a lot more sense than NIU does. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

We will always have a FCS game. We’d be dumb not too. Schedule down people. Schedule down. 

RUUTES
          Ute Fan
          @ruutes

You can schedule down and still not play FCS.  Any MWC or cUSA team will on an average year still be a cake walk but not a discredit to the schedule.  Or a weak sister P5 team that at least gets us National exposure.  Playing Weber  or SUU gets us no recruiting and no TV exposure and no ranking.  We can still play easy without playing lame.

2 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Here’s what I want:

We play BYU two times every five years. H/H.

Once in the three years we have no BYU game, IF both teams are bowl eligible and IF Utah doesn’t qualify for the Playoffs, Rose Bowl, Alamo or Holiday, then we play them in the Vegas Bowl.

That means every ten years we will play them 6 times. BUT, we will have 6 years to schedule another H/H with a P5 school. We can do two separate teams with H/H and a couple neautral site games or three H/H teams.

Everyone wins.

1 1

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

I like that. Once I got past the initial “why in the crap are they forcing us to play?” aspect of the Vegas Bowl, I actually didn’t mind the game and it does solve some scheduling problems. I’m firmly in the ‘play BYU every year’ camp and personally loved the traditional November game this year, while fully recognizing all the downside that came with that because of the Championship game this year.

Strictly from a fan standpoint with all the irrationality that goes with that, I would prefer to do 4 years on, 2 year off with BYU, home and home. The two years that we don’t play we have the Vegas Bowl arrangement that you mention including the outs for better bowls. On the two off years we schedule a big P5 school H/H AND we throw Utah State in the mix with a H/H. Is there any upside at all to playing Utah State in Logan? Probably not, but I always liked the roadie up there. And if the chance comes up to schedule a P5 school even when we have the Y on the schedule, freakin’ take it! I’d much rather watch those games than have an FCS opponent every year.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I think bowl game makes for a nice compromise. We still play each other three out of every five years. I don’t think too many would hate that. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Here’s what I want. I want all zoob posts to go under the zoob category now that the game is over. I want to talk about Washington now. I quit cussing on this site for you people. Now it’s your turn. Talk zoob all you want in sacrament meeting. Football talk is now UW, Bowl game and recruiting. M’kay?

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Schedule USF, North Texas, FAU, FIU, UTSA, UCF, Texas State. USU occasionally. Stop scheduling games that benefit us in no way.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I agree 100%. We need Florida games. Florida has been very productive for us. We need to go there. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

FAU would be fun. Very beatable, and Kiffin makes it entertaining. More publicity.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ok so it sounds like Harlan is in favor of keeping BYU on the schedule