One thing that made me extremely happy last night…

Viewing 3 reply threads

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

Was the lack of false starts. Seems like the first game of the season we always have a ton of false starts. Credit to the O Block!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

In that respect we played a much cleaner game than I  expected, penalty wise.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

7 penalties isn’t that bad and indeed more than once in recent years, the number of penalties in our opener has been in double digits.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Also the timing of them wasn’t super bad.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Well the two holds that resulted in the Dixon TD made it more difficult than it needed to be. Luckily TDS bailed Utah out on the facemask. It chewed tons of clock. 

whitlessham
      Ute Fan
      @whitelssham

Oline look pretty good I must say

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

And limited illegal man downfield. If there was one. Wheww

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I don’t think Ludwig is going to be running the RPO. the illegal man down field should be a thing of the past.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
          Ute Fan
          @mcastleton928

Agreed. That’s the reason why it happened. The run-pass option play causes that to happen because the offensive line blocks like they’re running (blowing up guys to create space for the RB), but instead the QB pulls up and passes while his O-linemen are down the field blowing up guys in their run blocking scheme, causing the ineligible receiver down field penalty. Well, judging by the first game, I don’t think that’s going to happen at all this year. By the way, I was very, very impressed with Utah’s offensive strategy against BYU. Especially in the 2nd half. They adjusted to what BYU was doing to limit their effectiveness (using a 3-man front and dropping 8 into coverage), and started to run the ball down their throats. It was super effective after that, as their downhill running game made it extremely difficult for BYU to get Utah’s offense of the field, which eventually wore out BYU’s defense. And it chewed up all kinds of clock, making it harder for BYU to run the type of offensive they want (a balanced one). It instead made them become pass-happy (to overcome their lack of time of possession), resulting in a one-dimensional offense. Which caused Wilson to become less effective, leading to incomplete passes and Blackmon’s pick six. That’s also the reason why their running back Williams only carried the ball seven times: because they simply didn’t have the time to do that and stay in the game. They had to pass to make up for their lack of time of possession. Not to mention the fact that they had to go against one of the best defenses in the country. Utah’s D-line and secondary are just ridiculously good. Simply brilliant half time adjustment. It’s the formula for consistent, big-time winning for Utah. They need to be a run-heavy offense because it makes their defense more effective and more opportunistic. Those of you complaining about the pass game are just nuts in my opinion. They actually were quite good (Huntley was 13-16 and all three incompletions were drops that hit the receiver in his hands). This team has got some serious potential to do something special this year. If they keep the winning formula they’ve found going, I really don’t see a way forward for many teams to beat them. Not to mention the fact that Zack Moss simply is not human. He’s the most talented running back I’ve ever seen at the college level. The only time BYU was able to stop him for negative plays was when they were blitzing (which stopped his ability to generate forward momentum), or when Moss was running sideways. They simply had zero answer for him running the ball forward.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football One thing that made me extremely happy last night…