OnlyU – Update?

Viewing 1 reply thread
      12 1

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

OnlyU, can we get a post-spring update on the team? Players that stood out in practices/scrimmages, QB2 battle, transfers, updates on portal recruiting? (Think we’ll land Bridges? Will our staff pursue Epps from BYU? Others?)

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Bridges basically committed 4 or 5 months ago pending everything being dropped from a legal standpoint. I think he’s in. Mycah Pittman from FSU received a Bartle Crystal Ball today as well. There are two other P5 (East of the Miss) WR’s that we’re involved with at some level also but not sure how it goes if both of the guys above are in. Pittman is coming off an injury so could miss part of the early season. Simmons joining in the summer.

Cam/Brant should be healthy enough to start the opener. Still excitement about Mbanasor being a great pick up once he’s injury free and Mikey Matthews will help this Fall. Things aren’t as bad as they seem in the WR room. Injuries hurt in the Spring and reinforcements coming and Brant will shore up our options there as well. I feel great about the TE room at the top but we need to add another depth piece at the very least. If Miki can handle the blocking piece we’re fine there today but can’t afford an injury so need to add there as insurance.

Tevita (David) Fotu was one of the biggest surprises of the Spring. He’s always had the talent just lacked the willingness to work at the level he needed to. He adds huge depth and athleticism to the DL. He’s actually a faster, more twitchy athlete than Leki was so I expect him to really start to make big leaps in production. DL is a major strength which allows our backers to cause havoc. Soooo many options at DE as well and it’s going to allow Scalley to pick and choose how he wants to attack the QB.

Jonathan Hall was the other big surprise at safety. As you know anytime we hear a lot about a true freshman the kid is special. Hall is gonna be the next in a long line of highly productive young DB’s. Ritchie was banged up all Spring…should be ready to go by camp but the injury is in a tricky location so it has to respond the right way to avoid set backs. I’d imagine he’ll be very cautious with his recovery. We might add a depth piece here. Bishop and Vaki give you what you need and there are depth pieces behind them (Ritchie isn’t a depth piece…a starter when healthy)

LB room as we know is loaded. Barton, Reid, Damuni and Medlock. Fotu back off a mission and guys like Josh Calvert and Furey give you plenty of playable depth. Chambliss has started well too.

Miles Battle was a pleasant surprise in the spring and someone who is in a position to start. Gonna be a big battle for the two starting spots in camp. Corners are deep enough as is today unless we see injuries 5 deep like we did a few years back.

I’m going to make a big statement but this defense – top to bottom, might be the best we’ve ever had.

RB room is loaded, O-line is loaded. Cam will be Cam. Rose, Johnson need more time to mature.

Kicking game is in a much better spot.

Schedule is difficult but we’ll have experience and talent enough to navigate if we stay healthy. Keeping Cam upright is the key. I think we can withstand a major injury at every other position group but QB.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I haven’t heard anything about our involvement with Epps yet. I also don’t believe we’re going after Harrison Taggert at this point. BYU, USU, Vandy have offered. A&M, TX, ND and ASU have reached out to him.

4 2

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

What do you think onlyU?  Are we getting home with 4 this year?  

concerned
          Ute Fan
          @concerned

What about M. Cope?  He seemed promising toward the end of the season, but seems like he has fallen off the radar screen.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Cope is solid too…forgot about him. Banged up this spring but he’s definitely serviceable.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

I’d like Mycah Pittman to come here and get 1000 yds to make up for his brothers 200+ yd “500” game against us…

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

Fantastic – thank you! I saw Traore (TE who picked Colorado over Utah last year) just hit the portal. Think we’ll make a push for him again considering we were in his final 2?

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Traore is in play again. Will visit this weekend among 5 other mostly offensive players.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Don’t worry about it I also said 2023 defense is going to be stacked. Talent plus experience is going to explode this season. 
        Still need a leader like a Lloyd. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Thanks.  Great update!  It gets me pumped for this season.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

This could be the greatest season we have ever had.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Haha…easy to be optimistic with the talent and depth returning but things can easily change. If we end up playing a back up QB for most of the season you’re a 7 or 8 win team. If everything lines up there is potential on this team to have a special season.

Traore will be very interesting. I’m not sure what conversations have taken place (if any) but the way he chose Colorado initially didn’t sit well with some. If he wanted back in AND handled it in a mature way it’s not out of the question.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

I feel like this could be one of the best teams ever, but might not translate to best record – difficult schedule and it’s always a few injuries, a few plays (calls) per game. Just about everything has to go right to be perfect or near perfect. A 1-loss PAC12 team should be able to get into the playoff.

utefansince79
              Ute Fan
              @utefansince79

PAC12 looks to be loaded this year, especailly at QB, and we have 2 strong non-conference opponents.  Season will be challenging but also a lot of fun, and we have 7 games at Rice-Eccles.

Utesby1
        Ute Fan
        @garykennedy

Pure gold. Thank you OnlyU.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football OnlyU – Update?