Oregon scouting report

Viewing 3 reply threads

Skywalker11
      Ute Fan
      @skywalker11

tl:dr version: Burmeister sucks. 

Pretty much all you need to know. Oregon had 2 QB’s transfer before fall camp due to their depth chart placement which left the 4* dual threat QB Braxton Burmeister as the only replacement for Herbert.

Herbert suffered a similar injury to Huntley against CAL 4 weeks ago. Since Herbert went down, Oregon has run the ball 85% of the time. Burmeister has turned the ball over 6 times on his own the last 3 games, has 0 passing TD’s and has only ammased 249 passing yards in 3 games (only 23 vs stanford, and 74 vs UCLA)

Let me make this clear, Burmeister is not a dual threat QB. He is a single threat, and that is on the ground. However, because of his complete ineptness to throw the ball, his only threat is compromised due to predictabilty. 

The good news for the Ducks however, rumor is that Herbert might be back for this game. The bad news is, will he play to his potential, or still look hampered by the injury on the field similar to Huntley vs ASU. The injury occurred to Herberts non throwing arm, so I am optimistic. 

I hope Herbert plays only if he’s 100%. If not, then Burmeister should get the start and if Burmeister gets the start, I can guarantee a Ute victory. 

Oregon’s WR’s compare to Utah’s WR’s over the past few years. No one really has a WR body, and those who do are either freshman or are not athletic enough to make plays. Oregon only has one WR who played vs Utah last year. All of our WR’s either graduated or transfered because they got a DUI, I won’t mention any names. 

Oregons defense is much improved. You can’t tell just by looking at the score line mostly because the offense can’t stay on the field but Oregon is 3rd in the nation in sacks and is in the top 5 in pass break up and in total defense is ranked in the top 5 in the Pac12. The trend has been that Oregons defense will generally start off well, but will get tired due to lack of depth and as mentioned, being on the field so long due to the offenses inibilty to stay on the field. Oregon starts 5 true freshman on defense, because of that inexperience, Oregon is prone to give up a big play or two a game.

If Herbert plays, I am feeling optimistic, if Burmeister plays, then I predict Utahs defense will outscore Oregons offense. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Vegas says Herbert is out. I think there is a reason why we are favored and it is because Vegas knows there is no Herbert. 

WhoAmISir
        Ute Fan
        @whoamisir

People in Vegas have to be hating Utah.  Whichever way they go they have lost a TON of $$$ this year on their spreads.  Bawhahahahahaha!

Skywalker11
      Ute Fan
      @skywalker11

Possibly, but FWIW, Vegas isn’t sitting at Oregons practices watching Herbert in pads throwing with the 1’s like the UO beat writers are.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

People in Vegas would be fools if they didn’t read the Oregonian for such key info.

Skywalker11
          Ute Fan
          @skywalker11

If I were a betting man, my guess is Herbert doesn’t play. On the grande scheme of things, this game means very little to Oregon. Sure, a mediocre bowl game would feel good after last season, but Taggart won’t want to do anything that could be detrimental to his future. Most UO fans have settled to the idea that the rebuild process is going to take a couple of seasons. Helfrich did not do a good job recruiting which left us thin at QB, WR, and Tightend and ironically, those are the positions where Oregon has suffered most with injury this season.

However, some guys who get paid to watch Oregon practice, are saying Herbert looks way ahead of schedule and they wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him play.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Great insight! Thanks for stopping by.

What are your thoughts on Utah this year?

Skywalker11
        Ute Fan
        @skywalker11

Just like Oregon, Utah is one key injury away from being a lot better than their record shows.

Seeing the trends at Utah over the years, I get why some Ute fans are frustrated with KW, but he is easily one of the best coaches in the pac12 (if not the best) I would love to see him go to a different school outside of the pac12 so I know we’d never have to play against him.

I think coaching wise, Utah has caught up to pac-12 level, but I think they’re still trying to find out how to recruit at the same level, and I fear they are very close.

If Kyle had USC athletes, he’d be vying for a playoff spot.

Watching Huntley and Covey next season will be a treat, not for me.. but for Ute fans. Covey will be better than Carrington. I came in here early in the season and warned Ute fans that once pac-12 season comes around, Carrington would become mediocre. Maybe some of that is on Huntleys injury, but he did the same thing at Oregon. Would always play spectacular in non conference games, and would look disinterested or unable to play in his comfort level in the pac-12

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Makes a big difference.

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

The biggest difference between the Utah QB injury and Oregon QB injury situation is that Utah has a far better backup. And yet, inexplicably, the coaches decided to 1- bring Huntley back too early, and 2- keep him in the game after the writing was on the wall, and then also 3- stop feeding the ball to the RB who just had a breakout game last weekend at the coliseum. 

Normally I would agree with you 100% about Whit, but those things still have me scratching my head.

I realize Huntley needed a game to break back in to playing, but losing the ASU game is far more costly than if they were to lose to Oregon. So it’s beyond me why they didn’t wait one more week. 

Skywalker11
            Ute Fan
            @skywalker11

I was baffled when Oregon lost to ASU too, however ASU is legit. Their defense was nothing to write home about but they have improved mightily over the last 4 weeks. The Udub game wasn’t a fluke and I wont be at all surprised to see ASU win the south.

It seems almost unfair that a team as low as ASU was, who were on the brinks of firing their head coach could get such a miraculous turnaround out of nowhere, where as a team like Utah who is easily more deserving and have been building something special over the last several years have gotten nothing in return except for injuries.

ASU has been a good offensive team all year, they have several NFL receivers and Wilkins can get them the ball. While the scoreline might have been a shock, if I am a Ute fan, I look at the Stanford and USC games as more disappointing losses. Especially considering the Utes were playing against the refs at the Colosseum as well.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Oregon scouting report