Our Fr QB

Viewing 6 reply threads
      4 9

Anonymous
      Inactive

Shelley played great for a Fr backup. He will only grow from this. 

My complaint is with our entire WR corps from the coach on down. 

Mariner should find another school. Singlehandedly lost our best shot at a conference championship to date. Too lazy to actually catch a perfectly thrown ball. Maybe it would have messed up his hair. We need WRs who can catch. 

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

He turned his hands weird for no particular reason to catch a perfectly thrown ball. I agree that is egregious to the point that he should become a DB.

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

I’d keep Dixon. Covey got hurt.  Thompson was trying to make his first catch.  And UW coverage wasn’t bad.  The Mariner flub killed us but it was also a fluke so while I think he under performed I also wouldn’t deny kids scholarships this year.  Might check and see what is getting coached.  The kids didn’t do bad the second half of the year.  It’s clear a lot regressed and some emotions and pressure also caught up with us this short week.  So I’m not thrilled about the outcome or performance last night on offense but one of the top Ds in the nation also contributed to our loss (along with the ref at the end).  

Anonymous
        Inactive

Right now only Dixon, Enis, Covey, Kuithe and Fotheringham are earning their scholarships. The rest are scrubs, and our WR coach is not P5 worthy. 

7 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Nacua has been very good this year.

Brichaute49
          Ute Fan
          @brichaute49

I would add Nacua to this gro

3 1

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

I think if we are ever to get out of our high level mediocrity we are going to need to recruit and coach as well on the Offensive side and the Defensive side otherwise we will never be any better than win the division once a decade type of team. Moreover our brand of ball is just downright boring and uninspiring to watch when the offense bogs down like this which is about 50 percent of the games.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

We just won the PAC12 South and came within 7 points of a Rose Bowl berth against a top 10 team with our three best offensive players hurt. I admire your notion of mediocrity. 

3 1

TexanUte
          Ute Fan
          @texanute

I said “high level” mediocrity.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Spot-on. 

5 1

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

I admire your notion of high level mediocrity. 

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Tough crowd. I guess it is a national championship or bust. 

6 1

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

wtf is high level mediocrity? High level and mediocrity are contradictory. Mediocrity is, by definition, not high level.

Jeeezuz people, we lost one damn game to a team that, without our 3 best offensive players, is better than us. Washington is BETTER. We had no business being as close as we were… Yet we made a game of it… 

We lose one game to a team that is clearly better than ours, and we are back to whining about coaching/recruiting…??????????????? This is the third most successful season in Utah football history, and it was done with our backup QB, and RB (who replaced an all american type talent at RB in Moss). Would Urban have gone to the fiesta bowl and won without Alex, Marty, and Paris (in the championship game)????? HELL NO. There is no way in hell a freshman Brian Johnson takes that team all the way to victory in the Fiesta Bowl. Would you be whining about Urban if we had lost the Fiesta Bowl game in those circumstances? NO, YOU WOULD NOT. YOU WOULD STILL BE KISSING HIS ASS, and begging him to stay/come back.

Troy Taylor did a very good job this year. Yes, there were obvious signs of growing pains, but he clearly took many steps forward. If Huntley and Moss don’t go down, we would have dropped 40 on every team we played up until the Washington game, then we would have won.

This team had a great season. It is something this coaching staff can surely build upon. Troy Taylor will continue to improve next season, as will Huntley, the receiving corp, and HOPEFULLY (but not likely) Moss. Bernard and Thompson will do well for us at linebacker (we also have Pirtle I believe). Our defensive back will be really good (don’t know about the safetys, but the rest are going to be excellent). The defensive line… Can you imagine how scary they will be next year (depending on who stays of course)?

We are a top 25 team, and we are playing like it despite having our two best offensive players out. That isn’t any kind of mediocrity, that’s damn good football.

1 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Holliday needed to go last year. No question. There are only 3-4 legit D1 receivers on the roster. TEs are good.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

WRs improved every year under Holliday.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

I had reasonable expectations of a Freshman, red-shirt or otherwise; I did not expect Shelly to lead the Utes to a win, in his fourth start against arguable, the best, second best defense in the Pac-12. Too much to ask. The idea that the coaches could have provided him a game plan, within his talent and experience is a little much as well. Our defense would have dominated our offense last night, just goes to show how defenses can dominate any game. But last night the Ute Defense needed the big play, it seems, but instead it was last week they got their pick-six. Good job Shelly, I liked your eyes, intense, in the game. See you next year.

6 3

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Saying Mariner should find a new school is an awful take. Yes, it was a bad play, also just bad luck. Saying the kid should find a new school is just bad. You can do better.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Alright, here’s better: he should quit football and attend barber school. 

1 1

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Such and edge lord you are.

1 1

Anonymous
            Inactive

I don’t even know what that is. You must be a very hep cat to use such contempo words. 

I know that I’m a little tired of reading others’ excuses for lazy players making bad plays. 

You know what isn’t flukey?  When a receiver makes the easy catch. 

ironman1315
              Ute Fan
              @ironman1315

So edgy.

Anonymous
                Inactive

So hep. 

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

I think that game was the turning point, but c’mon, players make plays and they also don’t make plays.  It wasn’t so much that he didn’t make the catch as it happened to hit his leg and it popped up.  Solomon Enis also had a pretty big drop that cost us a big gain, and I don’t hear anyone suggesting he find a new position or a new team.  

Anonymous
          Inactive

Two things on the Enis drop.

It didn’t lose the game.

It was because he got rocked,  not because he was lazy. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.