Our preseason schedule failed to prepare this team

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

It also exponentially increased the pressure in these Oregon/cal/ucla games because of how few opportunities we have had for quality wins

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

If we’d loaded the preseason schedule, we’d still have zero quality wins. This team (especially without Collette and Barefield) would’ve gotten crushed with a tougher preseason. We’d be sitting on 10 losses and no better prepared than we currently are.

Sorry, I’m just not ready to start second guessing anything after losing to the 3rd place team in the PAC12 by 2 points in 2OT. I know the game was a punch in the nuts, but let’s take a step back here.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

I’m not second guessing anything. Thought this before the game. I do think it packed the pressure in these games. There is also value in being tested

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Larry had no choice really.  Plus the two good teams we play beat us because we were short handed without two of our best players.  It is really had to add in two new players in the middle of the season.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Last year into this year was the tail end of Larry’s rebuilding efforts. Poeltl ended up being a little too good (I’d bet Larry thought he’d have Poeltl to build around for at least one more year) and the initial JC guys filtered through the program. 

I’d hope, that we don’t have to schedule down like this anymore. Our roster should bring close to everyone back next year, and they are all young and talent isn’t all in one class (like last year’s was). 

I think Larry FINALLY has this team with a solid foundation and in a place where we can build and only go up from here. 

Think about that: We will add a 4 star kid to this same exact team next year. Can you imagine this team, with Tillman? Man, does he come off the bench next year? Or push Collette to the bench? And Daniels next year? Wowza. 

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

Not just Tillman, but Seely will be back healthy with any luck.  And we still have a schollie or two to give if the right kid comes along.

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

I agree, it seems like LK has finally got this thing pointed where he wants it. Just think, while Larry was still calibrating this program we’ve been to two NCAA’s (including one Sweet 16), and put two Larry-recruited guys in the NBA with one going in the lottery. And this is all arguably in the rebuild of the program.

To be honest, I’m not quite sure where to set my expectations. Part of me is dreaming big, thinking that if LK sticks around for another decade or more, we might see a golden era of Ute hoops like we’ve never seen. Another part of me feels like what we’ve seen the last 3-4 seasons (including this one) is probably who we are: A perennial NCAA Dance/NIT team; we make the post season one way or another with an occasional deep run of S16 or deeper.

To be honest, either case is a heck of a lot better than where we were in the Giac/Boylen eras. I feel like I’ve read somewhere that the post-Bogus Giac years and the Boylen era were statistically the worst stretch of Utah hoops in its history. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s true.

Anonymous
          Inactive

It is pretty alarming to watch his close or ending the game preparedness. It really is a pattern at this point that isn’t just happening this season.

FountainofUte
            Ute Fan
            @fountainofute

I get what you mean, but at what point do you just take the good with the bad? I mean, for all of Majerus’s genius, he also had some serious issues. Look at Romar in Washington. He can recruit like a crazy man, but seems weak with X’s and O’s.

If Larry’s weakness is end game stuff, that would be frustrating for sure, but man, he brings so many good things to this program. He’s a decent recruiter, a solid X’s & O’s guy, seems to have a strong aptitude coaching up 4’s and 5’s, he’s a great ambassador for the school and program, prepares guys well for the NBA.

Overall, I think we’ve got a good one. Is he the next Jerry Sloan or Phil Jackson? Probably not, but solid P5 collegiate coach that I think many programs would trade for in a hot second.

Anonymous
              Inactive

Yeah I agree but it is a serious deficiency and concern. I am not asking for perfection just some improvement. 

In the tourney how many close games do we see all of the time? It is something that needs to be addressed. 

Minnesota Ute
                Ute Fan
                @minnesotaute

I really like Larry and I think he’ll figure this out, because don’t think you want to have a reputation for not getting it done at the end and losing all your close games.  That’s not good and will really hurt you in the eyes of the selection committee when they are looking at teams that can win close exciting games in the post season.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Our preseason schedule failed to prepare this team