Pac12 Coaching Hires

Viewing 4 reply threads

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

What are your thoughts?

Herm Edwards ASU – No recent coaching experience, no real links to recruiting in the west, taking over a HC spot that probably shouldn’t have been relinquised when it was. 

Mario Cristobal ORE – Not the hire I thought would have happened but I think a good hire.  Ducks are not getting decommits by the head coaching change.  

Chip Kelly UCLA – Little needs to be said in this hire for a household name of anyone following the PAC12 conference.  His hurry up offense is no longer revolutionary – defenses have been defending against it since he left his footprint at Oregon.  

Jonathan Smith OSU – Average hire.  Not a homerun but could prove to be a decent hire from UW.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My thoughts are that Herm Edwards seems like a real weird dude.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Herm Edwards – I think this will be a bad hire. BUT, it will either be horribly bad or amazing. I “get” what they are trying to do. Run a multi-billion dollar company like a multi-billion dollar company. BUT, I’m not sure the kids see it that way. I’m not sure a recruiting pitch of, “I will run the team like an NFL team, require you do have self responsiblity, and introduce you to contacts in the NFL” will translate into wins. I could see a lot of missed tape sesssions, slacking off, and lack of discipline. These are still kids, kids who have always been pampered, and kids who haven’t had to have any personal responsibility. Giving them more time, more homework, more film to watch and higher stakes in the games isn’t the best recipe for more freedom. 

Cristobal – I think this is a bad hire for Oregon. They should be able to do better. He hasn’t proven anything as a HC. At FIU, he won 1, 5, 3, 7, 8, 3 games. All that shows is that he played in a terrible league, his kids became upper classmen, and then they left. The PAC-12 isn’t the Sun Belt Conference. Look at Lane Kiffin. He takes a bad team and wins 11 games his first year. Urban did the same at Bowling Green and then Utah. 

He can definitely recruit. They will have talent. The problem is, can he coach as well as the other coaches in the PAC-12? We BY FAR, have the best coaches in the country. Chris Petersen. Chip Kelly. Kevin Sumlin. Kyle Whittingham. Mike Leach. He isn’t anywhere near as good as those coaches are. Can he out smart those guys? 

Look at Oregon’s schedule next year. It is rough: Stanford, @Cal, Washington, @ WSU. Ouch. They could go 0-4 in that stretch if Cristobal doesn’t coach his pants off. Then a couple weeks later, he gets UCLA then @Utah. What happens if he goes 0-6 in that stretch? 

Chip Kelly – He will win games. I’m not 100% sold that he will win 9+ games every year. Here is one example why: When he was at Oregon, he was the only “hurry up, spread the field sideline to sideline” coach. Now, Washington, USC, Arizona, ASU, Utah, WSU all run some form of that offense. Also, look at this: When Chip Kelly was last in the PAC-12, Utah ran a 4-3 defensive front. Our DT’s averaged 315 lbs and our ends averaged 270 lbs. 

Last year and this upcoming year, you will see a lot more 3-3 fronts, with our NT weighing 323 and our ends weighing 240. Two completely different defenses to face. 

Smith – who knows, who cares. We don’t play them and they will suck anyways. 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Looking forward to media days with Herm Edwards and Mike Leach both on the mic.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

At least Mike Leach is a smart dude. Herm is just a trainwreck. 

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

Missed Kevin Sumlin who was the reason I actually started thinking about about the HC hires in the conference.  I think Sumlin is an A+ hire.  Time will tell but I think he’s a perfect fit for the Wildcat’s offense and can recruit with the best. I’d put money on Sumlin doing better than Kelly. Bold statement but not sold on Kelly doing Oregon magic at UCLA. 

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Needs to learn his starting QB’s name though

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’m not downplaying Sumlin at all. BUT, Rich Rod is a pretty damn good coach as well. 

I see Arizona doing about the same. Arizona ain’t Texas A&M. Sumlin won’t have it as easy as he has had it. I’d expect Arizona to keep doing what Arizona does. Look at their last 5 years in terms of wins: 7, 3, 7, 10, 8. I’d bet the next five years look just like the last five. 

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

No doubt Rich Rod is a good coach but Sumlin comes across to me as a program coach looking for the right landing spot for success. Yeah, he might not get the top recruits of A&M but I’d bet he can pull some recruits away from Washington and Oregon and in the backyard of So Cal. My cousin went to Blinn and transferred to A&M so I’ve followed A&M fairly closely since both Utah and the Aggies switched conferences. Sumlim is a pretty damn good coach.    

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

I think Herm Edwards is going to be a train wreck.  No college coaching experience; no recent coaching experience; is extremely abrasive and will not relate well with today’s young players.  Plus he’s never done anything and was terrible on TV as an analyst.

Chip Kelly- I just don’t know about this one.  He flamed out his last two gigs so maybe the magic has worn off; or, if it hasn’t, then UCLA is a great place to resume his prestidigitation.

Kevin Sumlin- I think the reason he is relevant is because of Johnny Football.  OK but not great.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Herm coached in college, but it was years before any current college player was born (except the players at byu-P, since they will qualify for Social Security in a few years…).

Spot-on with the rest of the analysis.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pac12 Coaching Hires