Perspective? No need, it’s an instant gratification society.

Viewing 2 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

So who would you rather have as a coach?

Coach A wins 3 national Championships in 25 years at the same school.

Coach B wins 3 National Championships in 17 years, at two different schools.

Coach A coached 21 years before his first national Championship in year 22.

Coach B coached 5 years at three schools before in year six winning a national championship at his third school.

Coach A had his team ranked in the top 15 every year but one, they were 24 that year.

Coach B had his team in the top 13, 13 of his 17 years and was 21 one year. Was unranked at his first school and had an unranked year at his third school.

Coach A went to a bowl all 25 years with a bowl record of 12-13, had a 7 year bowl losing streak. 

Coach B went to a bowl 14 of 16 eligible years with a bowl record of 11-3 his team was ineligible one year.

Coach A coached at a school with two national championships in the 2nd and 3rd year before he coached and were ranked #4 the year before he took over.

Coach B coached at a school with a prior national championship at his third school, and seven previous national championships at his 4th school. 

So which coach do you want at Utah?

Kyle has 15 years at Utah, no national championships*, been to a bowl all but the 2nd and 3rd year in the Pac12. Has an 11-2 record in bowl games, which includes the Fiesta bowl as co-head coach.

Here’s the problem, both Coach A and B won National Championships at Blue blood schools, and their bowl records were against better competition, Alabama in 2009 (2008 season) was the best Utah has played.

For comparison Bobby Bowden coached 44 seasons, two national championships, coached at three schools (34 years at FSU), ranked top 25 in 28 of his 44 seasons (14 straight years in the top 5), Florida State has one national championship after he departed.

Oh, and who are these coaches? B should be pretty easy, but who is A?

*Utah was voted #1 in at least one poll in 2008.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

B is Meyer and I think A might be Osborne from Nebraska.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

@ProudUte nailed it. The first is Tom Osborne from Nebraska. And of course B is Meyer.

The only advantage Meyer has for a program is helping his assistants learn his ways. But you know he’s just a hired gun and won’t be around for long. I’m surprised his name continues to come up for so many positions. Unless you need to win this year to save your job, if I’m an AD, I’m looking for a hire who will be around until his kid can hit a curveball. LOL

Nebraska was really spoiled by Osborne, and I’m afraid Utah may get spoiled as well with Whittingham. Look no further than Frank Solich and his last year at Nebraska to see what i mean. I think the decision to fire Solich has haunted Nebraska since. Though they’d never admit it.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I would rather have Whitt compared to every other active college coach right now.*

He graduates his players and actually cares about the student in student athletes. 

He doesn’t have massive controversy and plays the game how it was meant to play. Physical play and out toughing your opponent. 

He wins a lot of the generational Utah player battles and has improved on getting local blood. 

Investing in this program is wise because it had been tending up for a long time.

**Shaw at Stanford would be the only coach I would want if I could swap.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Perspective? No need, it’s an instant gratification society.