Phil Steele on Bill Riley

Viewing 9 reply threads

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Just listened to his interview from the other day. A couple of things caught my attention and both have to do with the O line. In Steele’s interview with Whitt, he says Whitt says this will be his best O line ever. Steele then goes on to say he has Utah’s O line rated the 5th best in the entire country. I thought the O line would be decent to good this year but I didn’t think it would be that good. What are your thoughts?

16 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I’ll believe it when I see it. Pass protection was a real problem last year.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

the biggest problem, going back years athis point, is simple stunts by the most athletic DL beat us way too easily. We can never find which way is up against blitz packages and they get home fast whenever they please. Id be very curious to see a blitz success percentage of our defense vs opponents and vice versa

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

If true and IF Brewer can perform like he did in his best year at Baylor and IF a RB1 emerges, we could be smelling Roses!

7 8

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Re-watch the red and white game. Brewer was 15 for 15 but if he was live for tackling it would have been half that. There were a number of sacks where the rusher must stopped. We have the pieces, we just need to put them together. I want to believe and I’m hopeful but not haven’t boarded the hype train. Will revisit after OOC games.

AlaskanUte
        Ute Fan
        @kenaiute

How many O-Line starters were actually playing together in the Red-White game ? And how many practices in the spring did they have together ? Askin for a friend

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

He had a walk-on lineman protecting him….may have even been left tackle.  I can’t remember, but you can’t take anything from that game with regards to the OL. 

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Best line ever sounds like Coachspeak. It may have the potential but I believe that is French for “ain’t worth a damned yet”.

The 2016 O Line has to be the recent benchmark. 4 (?) drafted, helped turn Joe Williams into a star and was the last time Utah was able to competently pass pro. 2019’s line would have been an absolute disaster had it not been for the combined abilities of Huntley and Moss and most of those guys are back.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I appreciate your response. Do you think it’s coach speak or is Whitt the kind of guy that won’t say anything if he doesn’t believe it? I ways thought the latter, but I can’t say I know for sure. You’re more well versed in these things than I am so I like to hear your take. Personally, I thought Whitt wouldn’t say it if he didn’t believe it.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

To be clear, I have never met Coach Whit or any of the other staff that I know of.

When I say coachspeak, there is a certain amount of acceptable hyperbole when assessing your team in interviews, especially before fall camp even starts when everything tends to the positive. An example would be how the receivers are presented as a strength of the team every year (positive reinforcement for them) and then they underperform the expectations those comments engender.

I could easily see Whit saying that the O Line has the potential to be one of his best ever but that is different than your first post. Other than that, I don’t have any insight other than opinion.

Dallas
      Ute Fan
      @dallas

With our offense, I prefer to wait and see how the pieces come together.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Clearly we need to see it next fall. However, over the years, I don’t recall Whitt ever telling us a position group has very good potential when it was not the case. Rather, he is slow to sing the praises for a group that has a way to go. 2020 is not an indicator having us play the first game without practicing as a group. Individual workouts does not put an Oline together. I will start the year expecting Whitt to be correct, the Oline may not be the best in the conference but is likely to not be the limiting factor on the Offense. Last year, he did not give us any reason to believe Bentley was an awesome QB, possibly that was what really limited the offense. If they are ready it is even better that most are young players.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Correct you are Charlie.  And for what it’s worth, neither McBride nor Meyer ever called a position group very good that didn’t turn out to be very good either.  Whittingham must have taken a page out of their “coach-speak” playbook.  And I’m glad for that.  I hate “hype”.  I prefer the “truth” — even when it’s ugly.

2 8

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

I would wager a truckload of money that Utah will not end the season with a top 25 ranked oline.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Coach KW’s super high on our team across-the-board, from CB on down.

He says “we’re a complete team” & I believe him.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Yeah they do seem to think they have a chance for something special this year. The players believe it too. Lloyd said he came back because he wants a championship. I hope they’re right.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

I will agree that this is the best O-line “group” we’ve ever had and it’s not close. We have 10 guys that would have started on just about every line in the past. So from a depth standpoint this is not coach speak.

From a talent standpoint I believe we have 3 and maybe 4 NFL players in that group of 10 but some of those are inexperienced still. There certainly has been more individual talent in the past but never as a unit.

We’ve got a couple guys banged up from the Spring but they should be ready for the Pac12 opener (if not by the opening game of the season) so we need a little luck there.

In normal years we have 6 and MAYBE 7 who can really play and once we have an injury you see how the lack of depth has taken its toll…this year they all have experience and talent so they should hit the ground running as a cohesive unit especially with a veteran center.

I’m very bullish on this group and for once we can withstand an injury or two and still be ok.

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

I would put them up to that 1994 squad with Lance Scott at center.

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

Lance Scott reference!!! Well done. Great line but probably not as talented overall…(WAC vs. Pac talent) maybe at the top end though!

Johnny
                Ute Fan
                @johnny

Definitely way deeper now. Just like the QB room today vs 2004. If Alex went down that season, Utes were toast.

Johnny
                Ute Fan
                @johnny

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Love hearing this…thanks OnlyU! Sounds like all the pieces are in place for us to make a run at a Conf Championship.

Question. In your opinion, what position group would be the biggest question mark or area of concern? Or maybe, where is our depth the thinnest? Secondary? Special Teams?

Thanks!

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

I think the questions, in order, go…QB, WR, then DB. QB depth is the best we’ve ever had but who wins the job and how well does that guy play? If we don’t get that right it slows everything down. I’m not worried at all about that though.

We have talent and experience at WR but how do the transfers mix with the guys already here. Who emerges as the big play guy. We have a lot of possession guys with great hands but who stretches the field?

Finally we have a ridiculous amount of talent in the defensive backfield but do they have enough experience to be dominant? Who is the other safety?

Our kicking game will be a plus but our punting is still a question mark. Not too concerned though.

I like the O-line (including TE’s), D-line, LB’s, RB’s (though unproven at Utah). I like the talent everywhere else.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

Great as always to get your insights, thanks!

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Does anyone else feel like they had celebrity acknowledged them when OnlyU responds to one of their posts or is it just me?

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

Haha, I totally feel that way!

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

It’s a very special feeling.  I’m also honored to receive responses from Tony.

Redblood
            Ute Fan
            @redblood

Sounds like cohesion might be an issue again? Assuming they won’t be able to practice together if they will most likely be hurt up to the PAC 12 opener.

Onlyu
              Ute Fan
              @uf8fl

Just gonna depend on how the injuries respond to treatment. Young bodies heal quickly. And it’s just an injury or two that may take that long to heal. Lion share will be available in camp.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

I’m cautiously optimistic about the OL. They are definitely physical.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Phil Steele on Bill Riley