Pick Em Week #2 Results Posted! TIEBREAKER POLICY DISCUSSION NEEDED

Viewing 11 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Ok I’ve resolved the small issue with the results. You can now view the week #2 leaderboard as well as the season leaderboard. FOUR contestants went 10-0 for the week! Nice going. Week #3 picks are now open.

TIEBREAKERS

kentwool prize

Because there’s a 4 way tie for first and we have one prize to award, we must find a way to do a playoff. I have a couple of ideas, but I’d like to have a discussion between members to get some ideas what to do.

One idea is to have one game each week which is a guess the score. The person who most closely guesses that wins a playoff. The problem with that is it will take a lot more work to implement, and it won’t be as easy for players to make their picks. It’s not impossible though.

IDEAS PLEASE, both on deciding this week’s winner and a way to move forward! Thanks.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

Thunderdome?

Anonymous
        Inactive

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

What about one game (Itah?) where the closest to the score wins?

1 1

Dugway
      Ute Fan
      @dugway

I would say whoever responded first to this thread should win. Must be present to win, right???

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Once conference play starts there will be a lot of ties. With byes most weeks we’re only picking 5 games.

Total score of the Utah game can be the 1st tie breaker. Since it’s one number it might be an easy thing to program.

2nd tiebreaker could be total season number of winning picks, which might be easy to manually check given the possible low number of people in a 2nd tiebreaker.

On Utah’s bye week just designate another game for the tie breaker.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Hey @89ute I’ve looked forward in the season to the weeks that there are very few games. I’ve thought of adding a few non pac-12 games as “bonus” games to keep the picks up around 10-12.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

Would the bonus games be separated from the Pac12 games?

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Would the bonus games be separated from the Pac12 games?

Not really. They’re just games that happen to not have Pac-12 teams playing in them. Maybe we could pick a few of the marquee games if we need to fill some spots.

89ute
            Ute Fan
            @89ute

Well, … me, like coach Whitt says “goes into the Pac-12 cave” when conference play starts. I rarely watch anything but Pac-12 and get to know the teams pretty well. It might be less popular if it’s Pac-12 only, maybe not? Are you thinking of going beyond the Pac-12 games because of the tiebreaker headache?

Personally, I like Pac-12 only. Maybe put it in a poll? The whole point is to drive traffic and good discussions. If everybody likes more games over Pac-12 exclusivity, go for it. I prefer getting into the nitty gritty of our conference. Beyond scores and highlights it’s impossible to follow all of college football unless you’re unemployed.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’ll put some thought to the tiebreaker score thing. I’m just short on time lately and that stuff takes a long time to produce.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

After sleeping on it I’d like to make it known that I’m 100% in support of the Pac 12 pick’em being Pac-12 only.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Here’s an idea. I like the pick the Utah score. But if you don’t want to rely on that…
      How about who ever performed the best the previous week? And if they performed the same… the week before that?
      Kind of a reward for continuous good performance.

Dugway
        Ute Fan
        @dugway

Previous week performance sounds good, without <much> additional work for Tony.
        Just a sec…
        <click><click><click>…
        Wait, that’s a horrible idea!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Rather than the following week’s performance, I could have the tiebreaker go to the member who is the best participant in the forum.

Dugway
        Ute Fan
        @dugway

EXCELLENT idea! Best idea yet, Tony. Look at me be active on the board! Look at my pathetic begging… for a pair of socks? I guess they do look like pretty awesome socks.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

It’s a pair of socks right? So if it’s a two way tie each person could get one sock 😉

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well, we had a 4-way tie… Half a sock each!

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

Maybe they could just take turns with the socks???

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Pick Em Week #2 Results Posted! TIEBREAKER POLICY DISCUSSION NEEDED