Players sitting out bowl games.

Viewing 4 reply threads

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

So Bowl Season is among us. I’ve got the Vegas Bowl on right now (Oregon v. Boise State). Royce Freeman is sitting out today to prep for the draft. It sounds like West Virginia’s star RB is going to be sitting out to prep for the draft against us in a few weeks. Christian McCaffery sat out of Stanford’s bowl game last season.

What are people’s thoughts on this? I go back and forth. I can understand not wanting to get hurt in the Vegas Bowl, but what does that say to your teammates? Maybe they support and understand your decision. I’ve never been in that situation. Obviously nobody is going to be sitting out of a playoff game or a NY6 game. But for games with no implications, how do you all feel about players sitting out to rest/prep for the draft?

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

My personal, fan view take is, I want to see them play. It’s fun for me to see my favorite players one last time. 

I cant wait to watch Carrington destroy WVU. Dude is going to be on fire. He and Huntley will be incredible. 

BUT….

I will NEVER fault someone trying to better themselves. I get why they sit out. The game might not help them with the NFL and only risks injury. It is what it is. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I always thought it was stupid to sit out, not play all four years, etc. 

Then I went to work for a living at a job I was embarrassed to have, because I couldn’t find something better. It was a truly humbling experience and I’m glad things worked out the way they did. I also had an acl replaced and realized how tough a basic injury was. 

Now I say sit out bowl games, be a one and done, etc. because you only have the opportunity one time to make THAT much money in what you’re truly passionate about. Injury can be tough. Play on Sundays while you can – everything you dedicated your life to could be gone in an instant. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If I was Carrington I would sit there is nothing else a bowl game against s**t defense will prove. 

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

It’s a trend that is simply validating the unimportance of bowl games.  No players are skipping a playoff game.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

They could take out a big ass insurance policy so if they get hurt in the game they’re set for life anyway.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Didn’t Jake Butt do that?

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

That’s a good call. Wonder how many kids could afford that, or, if they could pay it off over time like student loans.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I presume the ones who would take that policy would soon be rolling in dough after being drafted.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

Amazing that there would be any consternation amongst fans for a young kid looking after his own best interest when we have coaches leaving a 5 million dollar job for a 7 million dollar a year job and oh wait, missing their bowl games when they announce they are leaving for greener pastures. Most Schools and their fans don’t like it when their free labor ups and leaves.

MountaineerLegion
        Ute Fan
        @mountaineerlegion

Well said. College football is a business for everyone (coaches, schools, conferences, television, etc.) but the athlete. Sad but true.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Players sitting out bowl games.