Porter missed one. Happy Birthday Kurt Cobain.

Viewing 3 reply threads

DieHardUtahUtesFan
      Ute Fan
      @diehardutahutesfan

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

Forgive me.  not a fan of his and it wasn’t on the site I was viewing 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Yeah me either. The grunge thing, or whatever all that stuff is called, doesn’t move the needle for me. Can’t stand Pearl Jam either. Guess I don’t like nasal mumble vocals and nauseatingly repetitive riffs.

3 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t like Nirvana, grunge, and “alternative” (which wasn’t really alternative anyway because everyone listened to it, so it was really just another mainstream genre). Don’t like it now, didn’t like it in the 90’s when I was supposed to. Didn’t like the look, the sound, the musicianship. I have to agree with my dad (an accomplished rock guitarist) who said “grunge sounds like a bunch of kids learning to play the guitar together.” As far as I’m concerned, grunge can take its heavy distortion, nonsensical lyrics, and flannel shirts back to Seattle and stay there.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

Nearly every Mainstream genre starts as a counterculture and/or underground movement.  Some remain there, but many gain popularity and go from garages and basements to stadiums.  So to critique Grunge as “another mainstream genre” isn’t saying much.  

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

I liked a lot of it, particularly AIC and Soundgarden. I didn’t like the pretentious elitist attitudes of many of them though. The genre became oversaturated as much as any other genre. Instead of poodle hair and spandex it was goatees and flannel. It was still filled with poseurs, just a different flavor.

DieHardUtahUtesFan
        Ute Fan
        @diehardutahutesfan

Cobain was an innovator. His music had a lot of influences from metal to punk. Flannel is also a fantastic fabric.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I enjoyed grunge back in the day, but don’t listen to it much anymore. I was always preferential to Alice in Chains over Nirvana though. Layne Staley (RIP) was one of my all-time favorite vocalists.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Porter missed one. Happy Birthday Kurt Cobain.