Position group confidence: defense

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Based on past performance and whispers from camp, here’s where my confidence level stands for each defensive position group:
      DT — High. Junior Tafuna was Pac-12 freshman of the year. Aliki Vimahi was also very good as a freshman. All signs point to these two being even better in 2022. Devin Kaufusi and and Tennessee Pututau are both good rotational pieces.
      DE — Moderately High. Van Fillinger has been a solid starter since day 1, but we haven’t seen him reach feared pass rusher status yet (like Anae, Orchard, Tafua, etc). Can he reach that this season? Lot of whispers from camp that Miki Suguturaga has taken a huge step in his game. Jonah Elliss and Gabe Reid will are solid pieces that will also contribute.
      LB — Moderate/shaky. Group with the most question marks IMO. Lloyd and Sewell left some large shoes to fill. Several players and coaches have raved about Mohamoud Diabate’s speed and strength in camp and how he will have substantial impact. His highlights are great, just seemed to struggle with consistency a bit at Florida (though he was still their leading tackler). Karene Reid was solid last year when called upon. Can he be that guy without Lloyd next to him? The other two guys mentioned as standing out are Lander Barton and Justin Medlock. Both are clearly great athletes and appear D1 ready, but it’s tough to count on true freshmen when game 1 is far away in front of 88,000 people vs a talented sec team. Been disappointing the Calvert bros haven’t been mentioned much.
      Safety — Moderately High. Cole Bishop became one of the best players on the team over the last half of last season. All reports say he’s picking up where he left off. The talk around FCS all-American transfer Clayton Isbell is also very promising when it comes to replacing Vonte Davis. RJ Hubert is still bit of an unknown having been injured past two seasons, but he was good in 2019 and his teammates still speak highly of his abilities.
      CB — High. I know this became a hot topic after the Rose Bowl, but basing the confidence level on that game alone is misguided. We all know what Clark Phillips can do. JT Broughton was playing just as well as Phillips prior to his game 2 season-ending injury. Faybian Marks and Zemaiah Vaughn stepped in as young guys and helped lead us to a Pac-12 title. Was unfortunate that Broughton, Marks and Vaughan were too banged up for the Rose Bowl, but all reports say the room is back to 100% health and ready to roll.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

The D needs that Alpha Male DT
      A Foto, or Lotulelei type someone who can set the badass tone for the D.

Hopefully Junior can be that presence

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

Tough to argue with your projections but I wouldn’t associate the word “shaky” with the linebackers. There’s just too much talent when you consider that the Calvert’s, Tufaga and Mata’afa are not in the top four. We’ve been spoiled the last two seasons but I think they’ll perform well. It may take a few games but I think they’ll be strong. I realize that we can’t afford to be mediocre against Florida but that may be the case. If it is, hopefully other position groups will step up.

By the way, I’m told that Diabate, Reid, Barton, one of the Calvert’s (don’t know which), Medlock and Furey are the top six and they are all playing at a high level. Communication has been an important issue. Scalley talked about it this week in an interview. He said something like the red zone communication in the scrimmage wasn’t where it needed to be but it’s been better this week in practice.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Yeah, Reid is a LB, not DE.  You missed O’Toole on DE though, and he’s had some great buzz.  

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

Gabe Reid is a DE. He is a transfer from Stanford. His brother Karene is a LB.

mfaulk80
            Ute Fan
            @mfaulk80

Yeah, you’re right.  I knew he switched positions, and I just mixed up which direction that went.  Thinking about the roster, I’m not even sure how I mixed it up.

My bad. 

gogotwo
      Ute Fan
      @gogotwo

What happened to the Calvert brothers?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Position group confidence: defense