Positives to build on

Viewing 2 reply threads

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Alright, now that most of us have backed away from the ledge, what positives are there to build on to get this thing on track and rolling for this year and certainly next year.

QB – I believe we have 2 good ones.  Rising’s bigger arm, athleticism/mobility and creativity may be worth serious consideration given possible oline deficiencies. Jaquinden Jackson could have a Taysom Hill like play package not limited to just wildcat.  Use your playmakers.

RB – We now have a clear RB1 that does everything well and on top of that I believe is a playmaker.  Shameless self promotion, I’ve thought and posted Bernard as the front runner for a couple seasons and off-seasons.  The only thing I didn’t see coming was Ty Jordan.  

WR/TE/Throw game – we’ve got 3-4 playmakers here.  Kuithe, Kincaid, Covey, maybe JD.  Enis is a reliable move the chains guy.  Tighten the rotation and get the playmakers the ball.

Oline – suggestions here?  Getting guys healthy and time together can only help.  Are there different guys that should be in the mix?  Play calling needs to compensate as well.

Defense – we’re solid to good still against the run.  I know we like to get pressure primarily with the front 4.  Do we have a true edge rusher (Wegis?) on the team? We have the LB, DB and safeties to succesfully blitz.  With a pass rush, defense could be really good.

What bright spots and opportunities are you seeing?

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Special Teams:

– Covey is still solid as usual

– Punting and punt protection seems trustable

– The field goal kicking has a historical high bar, and this area is a tad worrisome 

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Covey had big returns in each of the first 2 games. What happened on the missed FG? I missed it, WiFi wasn’t good in that spot.

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

It was a long fg and he missed wide right from the left hash.  Phillips and Gay missed kicks too, but hey we are lighting the house on fire so why not.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

It was long enough and not that far off, so would be better to make them all, but this one was not a bad gaffe.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If our linebackers weren’t the best pair we’ve ever had we would be in big trouble in regards to run defense. Our defensive line is absolutely awful. Not one of those guys is doing their job properly on a regular basis.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Positives to build on