Pre-spring camp position predictions

Viewing 2 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

With spring camp soon or now starting (I’ll admit that I didn’t check the date) here are my very early predictions for players at each position. I am listing each player in order of where I believe they will rank on the depth chart. Disclaimer: I do not claim to have spelled any of these names correctly.

Offense:

OL – Lo Falemaka, Salesi Uhatafe, Jackson Barton, ???

TE – Siale Fakailoatonga (pending hardship waiver), Harrison Handley, Caleb Repp

QB – Troy Williams, Tyler Huntley

RB – Armand Shyne, Zack Moss, Troy McCormick

Slot – Demari Simpkins, Kyle Fulks

WR – Raelon Singleton, Saosi Wilson, Bryan Thompson, Tyquez Hampton

Deffense:

DL – Lowell Lotulelli, Philipo Mokofisi, John Penisini, Leki Fotu

DE – Kylie Fitts (pending waiver), Maxs Tupai, Chris Hart

CB – Tereke Lewis, Jaylon Johnson, Julian Blackmon, Terell Burgess

NB – Bobbie Hobbs, Javelin Guidry

LB – Kavika Luafatasaga, Chase Hansen/Marquise Blair, Tueteoli, Donovan Thompson

SS – Chase Hansen/Marquise Blair, ???

FS – Corrion Ballard, Jordan Fogal

So, I admit that beyond the 3 I listed I have absolutely no idea how the OL will shake out. Anyone have any insights?

I also feel that either Chase Hansen or Marquise Blair will become a LB. I don’t believe for a second the “depth behind chase” statement they made in Blair’s recruiting video. I think they will do everything possible to get both players on the field.

Lastly, I think that Tyrone Smith with crack the depth chart somewhere, I just don’t know if that will be at WR or CB. I have seen many claims that he could be a great CB. Can anyone explain to me the case for that?

I welcome any criticism on these projections. I want to know what you think!

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’ll see if I can help at little. 

Blair was recruited to play LB. Ballard will compete to start beside Hansen. BUT, we will use a lot more 5-1 fronts, which means that in those cases, Blair may be more of a S…Utah is looking for hybrid players. That way we can run whatever from whatever formation. If you have Davr Hamilton as a DE/LB, then are you running a 5-1 or a 3-4? Or, same with Blair. Is it a 5-1, 5-2, 3-4, 3-3, etc? These types of guys give us big time flexibility. 

I think the OL is completely up for grabs. I’d bet that Uhatafe (who is all PAC-12 material) and Barton start. The other three are up for grabs. Falemaka has experience and is a SR, which goes a long way. Agasiva came here to play. Then, we have a TON of young guys with potential: Capra, Grant, Paulo, Peck, Scott, Umana…just know that our OL will be just fine for a long time. 

Tyrone Smith has so much hope and praise because of Shah and McGill, Rowe and Allen. Shah has taken less athletic big guys and turned them into millionaires. Smith has a better block of clay to build from than those three. He is big, fast, strong, and athletic. Very nimble. He has the tools to be another Smith at CB. 

Repp will be a DE. If he can put a little weight on, he will be a NFL DE/LB/Pass Rusher. 

At WR, Dana will push for playing time. I think Hampton RS’s. He has potential, but he is slower, bigger guy. They usually need a year or two to work on footwork and strength, while the little fast guys (Covey, Simpkins) can step in right away and make plays off short passes. I’d think Dixon has a better shot at spot playing time. 

BUT, how cool is our WR situation? Singleton, Wilson and Simpkins might be our best trio of WR’s since Dres, Scott, Clay and Patrick. And we might have an OC who can actually use the three NFL guys. Plus Hampton, Dixon, Vickers, Thompson, Fulks, McCormick, and Nacua and I haven’t even mentioned Kenrick Young, who has an NFL body. 

DE – Anae actually played a ton for us last year. I’d be he starts opposite Fitts. BUT, with Tupai and Hart as backups? WOW. 

I think most of what you have is spot on. One of Burgess or Nacua is at WR now, I think Nacua. 

I can’t wait for spring ball. I’m so freaking pumped. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Also, Cooper Bateman is listed as a QB. 

I think Utah wants Cooper or Troy to win the job, go out and have an amazing SR year, get drafted and then welcome Tuttle in with welcome arms and let Tuttle, Huntley and Shelley battle it out. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

In fact, I’d put it at a 99.9% chance the starter at QB is Bateman or Williams. With Taylor, I think Utah wants experience for this insanely hard schedule and then a battle royale next year in spring ball headed into camp between JR Huntley, FR Tuttle and RSFR Shelley. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Also, the 2018 schedule is a lot more forgiving at home. USC, Washington and Oregon at home. USC and Washington breaking in new QB’s that won’t be as good as Browning and Darnold. Our road games are all winnable except maybe Stanford. 2018 is a year we could win the south. Rosen will be gone as well. The south should come down to Utah or Colorado in 2018 (and always USC). Stanford should win the north. 

Also, BYU is our last game of the year. That could be a real cluster…..Could you imagine us having won the south, with one loss, headed to the PAC-12 title game and having to play those people? That would be a great way for our fans to realize how stupid it is to continue playing them.

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

If Bateman wins I worry Huntley will transfer.  He needs to see the field a lot this season, at least a series a game or so.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I wonder. I don’t know if he does, because if he transfers he has to sit out a year anyways and would have to start over with a new coaching staff and if he transfers, it would most likely be down to a G5 or FCS team. 

Not sure that is what he was expecting. Now, if he loses the job to Tuttle or Shelley, then he 100% transfers. 

I think this year, he stays. 

AZswayze
            Ute Fan
            @AZswayze

You think? I mean, he’s all but guaranteed to start the following season. I sure hope you’re wrong, because that would be a devastating loss imho.

resnez
          Ute Fan
          @resnez

Don’t want to offend here (first post) but I wasn’t tremendously impressed with Troy last year. I hope Whit gives Cooper Bateman a legitimate shot to start. Too many times Troy was inconsistent and …..holding onto the ball WAY too long.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

No offense, and you bring up a good point. Please keep posting!

To clarify, I don’t want to see a situation where Tyler Huntley is the #3 guy. That would be bad.

Troy was dealing with a sprained MCL after kid season (Cal game?), so hopefully he is doing much better this year.

Bateman is a bit of a change of pace. I want him to have a shot to earn his way onto the field. If he lights it up and becomes the #1 about, then he will have earned that spot. I have a lot of trust in Coach Taylor and trust he will prepare the guys. I fear Coach Roderick was a bad influence on our QBs regarding holding the ball too lo g.

But at the same time, if Bateman would switch to Defense and played Safety/Nickel like Chase Hansen he would find himself playing on Sundays next year. He might do the same as a tough slot receiver. But there just isn’t anything in his past that would point to him being a next-level type of QB.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Yeah, you are probably right. I just want Taylor to be the god we all wish for. I really don’t care who wins the job. All I want is passing game. 250 yards a game with 65% comp. 

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Keep posting! The more assholes…I mean opinions…we have around here, the better!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Pre-spring camp position predictions