Proof that the “rivalry” is almost dead

Viewing 7 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

So I decided to do some research to see how the Utah-BYU rivalry compares to some of the other big rivalries in the country. I took stats from the last 25 matchups of each rivalry and the numbers just don’t lie.

Alabama-Auburn: Alabama leads 13-12 with a 3 game win streak.

Michigan-Ohio St: Ohio St leads 16-8-1 with a 5 game win streak.

Oklahoma-Texas: Oklahoma leads 13-11-1 with a 1 game win streak.

USC-Notre Dame: USC leads 14-10-1 with a 1 game win streak.

Florida-Florida St: Florida St leads 13-11-1 with a 4 game win streak.

Texas-Texas A&M: Texas leads 13-12 with a 1 game win streak.

UCLA-USC: USC leads 14-11 with a 2 game win streak.

Oklahoma-Oklahoma St: Oklahoma leads 17-7-1 with a 2 game win streak.

Michigan-Michigan St: Michigan leads 14-11 with a 1 game win streak.

Michigan-Notre Dame: Series is tied 12-12-1 with ND on a 1 game win streak. 

Now look at Utah-BYU….. Utah leads 17-8 with a 7 game win streak! No other rivalry is this one-sided. Crazy stuff…

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Isn’t OSU – Michigan almost exactly that lopsided?

I don’t think the Rivalry is “dead” by a long shot, but its definitely taking on water.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

16-8-1 with 5 game streak. So, almost but not quite. 

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Not trying to steal your thunder, but… come on, man. In the period you’ve cited (25 matchups), there are a couple of rivalries that are quite similar. Since you only cited 11, 3 out of 11 with somewhat similar numbers doesn’t mean that it’s all that uncommon.
      Oklahoma – Oklahoma State is pretty similar – even more lopsided by one half game – just with a lesser win streak.
      Michigan – Ohio State is very similar, also 1/2 game difference, and also with a long winning streak.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I said no other rivalry is this one-sided, meaning none of the teams have won 7 straight (Probably 8 straight after next year). All I’m saying is that our rivalry is becoming less and less of a rivalry.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Notre Dame – Navy…21-4, Navy with a 1-game win streak. But Navy’s win in 2007 broke a 44 year-long win streak.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I guess we’ll have to define “big rivalry”. Do you consider a 76-13 series a big rivalry? Doesn’t a rivalry have to be somewhat competitive?

Skywalker11
      Ute Fan
      @skywalker11

as an Oregon fan, we had an 8 game win streak over OSU and a 12 game win streak over Udub (facebook wasn’t even invented the last type UW had beaten Oregon.) we lost both games last season in embarrassing fashion.

It might feel “dead” for now, but once BYU wins one, those feelings all come back in an instant 😉

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

At the UW game in 2015 a Husky fan shouted “Utah Sucks!” as he walked past. I asked him how it felt to beat Oregon. He shut his mouth and sulked away like a whipped puppy. This was a few weeks after we actually discovered an Offense in time for the game at Autzen.

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

Don’t forget Florida-Georgia “the worlds largest outdoor c**ktail party”.

Florida leads 19-6 with a 3 game winning streak.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Was the rivalry dead when they were beating us like the drum on our helmets for nearly 20 years straight? Nope, and this doesn’t kill it either. That school is too god damn annoying not to hate them for a long long time regardless of what the recent record is. As long as there is distain, the rivalry will live on.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

The rivalry will live on until they cancel the football program and lease the stadium to UVU.

Red Don
      Ute Fan
      @reddon

‘No other rivalry is this one-sided.

Very few other rivalries are P5 vs non P5.  Sh!t-can this thing.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Proof that the “rivalry” is almost dead