Mr Chainsaw
      Ute Fan
      @mrchainsaw

2 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Ha ha. You win! 

Not crowded at all. We went from one QB in Rising who has never taken a snap to a upperclassman QB with experience and a young QB who wants the job. 

Now, we need to add a HS QB to be sitting pretty. Here is our QB depth for next year:

Rising/Bentley then …Lisk? No one? 

If we can go into the season with Rising/Bentley/HS QB we will be set. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Baylor QB transfer also.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

He has to sit out…aaaaanannnnndddddddddddddddd….

While he will get every opportunity to play QB…he isn’t a QB. He will be a WR or CB for us in a year or two. 

UtahFanSir
          Ute Fan
          @utahfansir

My take on Powell. Everyone wanted him for something else besides QB. But he wanted a chance to play QB and Baylor told him they would give him that chance. So he comes in, plays QB for like a perfunctory period, a week; that was what I read somewhere. Then told him he would not make it as a QB but in the defensive secondary or as receiver.

He decides to leave, waits on that a bit, then decides to stay and tells the coach he will play where the staff wants him to play. This may be horse puky but that is what I read. The coach says, no, perhaps its best if you move on. So Powell does, and comes to Utah.

Again, my understanding which may be in error…he comes to Utah with the understanding that he will get a shot at QB but he accepted that he may end up as a receiver or in the defensive secondary. I figured with him needing a year, he would get the reps that Cam Rising has been getting as QB for the scout team. Assuming he does that for a season, the coaches will be able to assess where he would be best served.

With Bentley, I don’t know what to think. Clearly, Rising, Shelley, Lisk, and Bentley will battle it out. Powell is not eligible to play until the following season, or so I understand. If Shelley elects to transfer, and I hope he does not, that narrows the field.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

He will be an amazing scout QB for us next year. If he shines as a QB, he stays. If not he moves. I like it. 

He has a year to play QB and prove himself. If he sticks or not, he doesn’t waste any games finding out. 

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I wonder if he will. The NCAA is a weird deal. He didn’t play in his 4 gene this year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Can’t wait to see our new safety play!

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Bentley is a QB through and through. Had 7500+ yards at SC. He has potential to start right away.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This will never not be funny. Ha ha. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

The wealth of positive responses from South Carolina fans certainly speak to the kid’s character.  Excited to see what he can do here.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football QB Position getting a little crowded for 2020