QB SITUATION

Viewing 6 reply threads
      1 11

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

Anyone want to bet $50 that next year the starting QB (if Bentley stays) will be between Jackson and Bentley?

3 4

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

I would make a bet that it’s neither of them. I think for Charlie Brewer to make the move from Baylor to Utah he has been promised a starting role.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I’m sure Bentley was made the same promise but he didn’t get the start.
        If Bentely sticks around, he’ll be no higher than QB#3. Powell and Rising Duke it out for QB 1

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

Powell?

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

And no, Bentley was not made a promise to get him to come to Utah. His career was on life support at SC so he entered the portal. And Ludwig presented a great opportunity for him to come and compete for the job. This type of thinking that our coaches are bowing down to these college kids is small time and although we might not be a blue blood program we are a well respected P5 whether our fan base admits it or not. Kyle Whittingham is one of the most respected coaches in the country. Kids want to come play for him because he develops them and consistently puts them in the NFL.

1 1

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

Who is Powell?  We have Bentley, Rising, Jackson, Costelli, Brewer, Cooper, and Lisk(Lisk and Bentley will most likely be gone next year).

1 1

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I messed up ok?

2 1

RiseasUtes
              Ute Fan
              @riseasutes

Yes it’s ok, but why do you keep thinking these guys are promised the job?  The coaches seem to be pretty upfront with everyone.  I’m sure every QB that is brought in is promised a fair shot at the position, but not promised the job.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Ok, follow the thread. I was answering Uteman12. Maybe that will put into perspective. I don’t know what was said to who. I am on record in other posts where people said Bentely didn’t come here to ride the bench and only came here because he was told he was going to start as saying I doubt Rising came here to ride the bench too. Your accusation stating that I “keep thinking” that they were promised something is an flat out lie.

the only place you will ever find that I even remotely said that would be on this one thread, where I was responding to someone who said it.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

No way anyone was made a promise. They all know there is a great opportunity at Utah that they are coming to compete for. The cream will rise to the top just like Ty Jordan beating out Wimore, Brumfield, Green, and all the rest. Should be a great QB competition and may the best one win the job.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I would bet that promise was never made.  Whit said yesterday that we aren’t here to give players a role, they have to compete and earn it.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

It will be one of these three: Rising, Jackson, Brewer. If I had to bet today I’d say Brewer due to Rising injury and Jackson inexperience.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I’ll bet that $50 that Bentley is not on the roster next fall…

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I’ll take that bet as well. Bentley is gone. With Costelli, Rising, Jackson, and Brewer there is no room in the Inn for Bentley. And we should all be hoping that Brewer is not the starter next year. If he is that means he clearly beat out our future (Rising, Jackson, Costelli). And with everything pointing to 2022 being another “special” season, we want one of our future QBs winning the job and getting the experience next year in preparation for 2022. Worst case scenario is Brewer starting on a 1 and done. Hopefully Brewer is in the QB room to provide depth and to help push our youngsters along.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Bentley and Lisk are gone. Otherwise you have 7 guys in the room. Not happening. Bentley can still play somewhere else if he chooses to do so. So could Lisk though I’m almost positive he’s done.

No promises made to anyone. That’s crazy talk. Best player plays…Rising (if healthy) vs Brewer for QB1. If Rising can’t go it’s Brewer with Jackson in a wildcat package and a battle with Costelli for #2.

Rising OR Brewer for QB1

Jackson OR Costelli for QB2/3

Coop.

If Rising is healthy I think Costelli Redshirts…if not he gets the shot behind Brewer and the loser between Jackson/Costelli redshirts.

This won’t be too complicated

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Thank you for clearing this up. I’m getting bored with all the speculation, and yours is as definitive an answer as we’re gonna get. Let’s put this topic to bed.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

I will add that if Jackson or Costelli come in and win the job it’s theirs…just gonna be an “against all odds” situation IMO. They are the future at some point just don’t think it will be for a few years.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Brewer is the safe play having experience.  Rising and Costelli are the future and if one is even close to Brewer they will start.  Jackson very likely will play defense, Alabama wanted him for LB.  He may play QB or defense but either way he would make an awesome wildcat QB, even better than Weddle.  In that role he is as good as it gets.  With a significant threat to throw, as a change up wildcat QB he would be a nightmare extra prep requirement for other DCs.  And he would be a beast on defense.  Likely his best NFL path is on defense.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

First of all – Bentley is gone.

Then I think there will be an open competition for the starting spot among Costelli, Brewer, Jackson and Rising.  Rising will be at a disadvantage because he will not be able to participate 100% in spring ball.

I thought about making a prediction here, but it would be a complete guess with nothing behind it.  So, may the best man win.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I will take the bet and say it is Rising or Brewer. Done! handshake!

Sanders
        Ute Fan
        @sanders

2019 Brewer: 3161 passing yards 21 TD 7 INT with 11 rushing TD 64.5% completion rate with 225 pass yards per game
        2018: 3019 passing yards 19 TD 9 INT with 7 rushing TD
        61.5% completion rate with 232 pass yards per game
        2020 too many variables – not worth considering

Not sure Rising will be ready to duplicate that. But I hope he gets playing time.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

A lot of Baylor fans are worried Brewer has had too many concussions. :/

UtahFanSir
            Ute Fan
            @utahfansir

All of these terrific kids have something…

Rising endured a serious shoulder injury that may not have been as bad as some feared. His injury in others has ended careers or rendered them just average (e.g., Jordan Wynn). Further, he will not have the spring to develop and condition. Clearly Rising proved in camp to be Utah’s best QB going into the first game.

Brewer is a record book guy. Yet he sustained a series of concussions, while he has denied the last so-called injury was a concussion. Had he been 25 pounds heavier he would have secured a scholarship to UT. Regardless, he has the most experience by far, but is one and done.

Jackson – a phenomenal specimen of a man – had a serious knee injury his senior year of HS that caused UT to ask him just recently to go to defense, with no option to compete for QB because they back-filled that position. Rumor has it he also needs work on his mechanics, while his upside in tremendous.

Costelli will be young and green. He has tremendous upside also from what I gather, but he needs work too. Truth, they all do, right…

Cooper Justice who was more of a baseball guy, now committed to FB, is an incredible finesse athlete. Who knows on him? Considered a worthy project by some.

Utah has other QBs, two walk-ons, who in HS were terrific in their class, primarily 1A leagues. But QBs are typically the best athletes on the team.

Consider, Utah played only 5 games this season, and completely utilized three QBs in that stretch. Today, a deep bench is essential.

I also don’t believe Lisk or Bentley will return.

Final general observation, an OL that is more like a sieve than a wall will make the best QB look like dog water, potentially getting them hurt. And WRs need to secure separation so that QBs are not threading needles in traffic. But then again, I’m in the stands, eating popcorn and drinking cokes.

So what do I know…

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football QB SITUATION