Questions

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Before asking these questions (hopefully, OnlyU can weigh in), I want to reiterate that I am very proud of my Utes and how they represented the university.  Oddly, I did not feel bad after the loss like normally would.

1. I assume Bernard was our best option at corner.  Were the young guys just not up to the task?

2. I appreciate Bernard’s efforts.  Why did he also play offense?  Would it not have been better for him to get some rest.  We have plenty of RBs. (I will say that Bernard played great on offense and made a spectacular catch for a TD.)

3. Why did Jackson not come in at QB.  I thought his redshirt year was already used, but maybe that was the reason.  (Barnes was amazing IMO.)

4. Why did we change punters in the middle of the game?

5. How bad was Kuithe’s injury?  He did not look like himself in the second half.

Thanks to the Ute football team for an inspiring season!!!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

1. Obviously the coaches thought Bernard was the best option. Why would they do anything else? 

2. Good question.

3. Red shirt I’m assuming

4. Didn’t notice. Maybe because of the botched punt? 

5. He was P**SED on the sideline. I could hear him yell F**! and saw him throw his helmet. He played later but was gimpy. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

The TV guys said it was the different punter that botched the snap.  Honestly, I did not pay a lot of attention, so I was wondering why.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

1&2. Bernard deserves all of our praise. There is maybe 5 college cornerbacks in the country that could have made it difficult on Stroud and his plethora of receivers. Sad we were down that many players at that position in that game. 

4. That dropped punt hurt, but watching the replay I would say there was a 95% chance it would have been blocked any way. So, again our special teams needs drastic improvement next year.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Kuithe looked like a high ankle sprain. Probably doesn’t play the rest of the game in the regular season. Kid gutted it out but could barely stand up when the doctors were checking out Rising.

Kuithe at about 60% was what was so strange on that last 4th down call. Rising didn’t look anywhere else so it was obviously designed to go to him from the play call. Ludwig has to know he should go somewhere else since the kid’s heart was bigger than his ability at that point.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Bernard was clearly the best option out there with what was available and that was backed up in practice leading up to the game. You’ll see a small handful of the other CB’s moving on via the portal. They’re either not ready yet OR will never be ready. Micah played it in HS so wasn’t exactly starting from scratch. The biggest issue was alignment but you could see him looking to the sideline before each play to make sure he was right. He’s a quick twitch kid…just a really tough assignment for literally anyone.

Micah plays 15 plays a game on offense. Great 3rd down back so his workload there wasn’t something he couldn’t handle.

Kuithe just gutted it out. Wasn’t at his best the 2nd H but loved the toughness and leadership. As far as Ludwig’s play calls it always has more to do with the look the defense gives (or is expected to give) than the result. Kuithe is typically a mismatch so you’d think he’d be able to win another yard or two. Did his health play a role? Maybe, probably, but if he’s out there he’s saying he can get it done.

As an example, you could see Vonte trying to help Micah in coverage OFTEN, but they would send a slot or TE across his face which left Micah 1 on 1 with whoever he was with. They have elite athletes all over the place and Stroud is so good he just never missed his guy BUT give credit to Ohio State for understanding how to create mismatches. They averaged 45 points a game this year…they have a special offensive unit full of playmakers.

Not sure on the punting change except to say that each has his strengths and weaknesses. One is better for coverage, one is better for placement and distance. It was a big spot no question but I’m not sure exactly what went into the decision making.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

And Barnes is the better thrower…really nothing more than that besides maybe a red shirt consideration. Jackson is an athletic freak…could be an RB or a LB easily. Maybe even a D End. If he stays I think that’s where he’ll likely end up but if he wants to play QB he’ll probably have to try it somewhere else depending on the readiness of the freshman QB’s coming in this Spring/Summer.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

I think it is easy to look at where things ended Saturday and feel it was a letdown of sorts (the way the game ended). That said, I also think there is zero question Utah should be feeling pretty good about their chances to get back to there in the next year or two.

There will be some big names move out, there will also be some big names move in. These guys are going to be motivated to run it back.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I feel good about my Utes.  Thanks, OnlyU for your detailed answers.

Danilo
        Ute Fan
        @dan7

As always really appreciate you OnlyU!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.