R.I.P. Tom Barberi

Viewing 6 reply threads

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

One of the true legends of University of Utah sports media passed away this morning. Tom Barberi coined the infamous “Utah by Five” phrase and was a tireless supporter of the Utes during the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s when sometimes there wasn’t much to cheer about. He was also one of the very first tailgaters at the U. I’m hopeful he was able to know his Utes made it to The Rose Bowl. A great man and a true University of Utah legend, may he Rest In Peace.
      Utah by Five

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Tom was a legend. To some of us, he was the voice of reason on a lot of things.

R.I.P.

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

I agree. Great comment. His influence stretched far beyond just being a loyal Ute fan.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

I became a Ute fan listening to Tom Barberi in the mornings. Loved the cowbell, and the ‘No News News’. There was his interviews with Coach Swanee Bucknell of Ophir State University for humor when there wasn’t anything else to laugh at.

He provided a voice and direction for fans to bond and promote our Utes.

Thank you Tom, and Rest in Peace.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Tom was a big Ute fan when it was not popular.  I loved listening to him on KALL 910 for years.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Utah by 5. 

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

If the Utes don’t win by 22 I hope they win by 5.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Godspeed Tom

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Not just one of the first tailgaters, he organized the first ever tailgating at Utah. The first years I think it was $10 a year. Tom was awesome to listen to on the radio. He made the most divisive topics funny leaving both sides smiling. The exception was the lady Ruzicka and her organization he called the Magpie Forum. That lady taught everyone else how to shame everyone else. Tom was a transplant from Gilroy Ca that made life at the U enjoyable for me in the 70s. RIP

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

Legalize adulthood in Utah. RIP Tom

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc R.I.P. Tom Barberi