Raise the food tax, reduce the sales tax

Viewing 4 reply threads
      6 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

What is wrong with this state? My goodness. I’ve never seen a state more worried about screwing over the bottom while rewarding the top, while the middle to bottom all stand up with their hands to the sky and praise Jesus for it all. 

SMH. 

They run OR out of the state, then whine about how the income taxes are too low, and now want to tax the poor while lowering taxes on the rich, all the while cutting funding to the schools ensuring the middle drop to the bottom and the bottom stay where they are.  

Good luck with that Utah. Unreal. 

Holy Cow.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I believe a tax on jello would be sufficient. No need to cast the net too wide.

LadyUte
        Ute Fan
        @emilymiller

Yes! Another lady!!!!

1 1

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

gotta protect the “job creators” and have that all important political cover.  Must not upset the job creators, never mind that the business leaders here are the ones that started the ballot initiative to raise taxes to fund the schools because guess what, Utah schools aren’t producing enough educated people to fill the jobs they have.  Someone should tell Hughes, Neidermeyer et al that it’s the job creators pushing the ballot issue.  Sans that push and the threat that the voters might have a say in something here has them scared sh!tless.

zeous
      Ute Fan
      @zeous

Utah would be the last place to do it, but since this seems to be a dream thread… why not a land value tax as the only tax? With or without universal basic income.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Tax being fat.

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

Then most of the legislators would have to pay more 🙂

DieHardUtahUtesFan
        Ute Fan
        @diehardutahutesfan

That’s what the food tax does. But, you can just believe everything the trib’s low-income advocate sources claim instead of actually looking at what the food tax does. It taxes eating out. It’s a progressive tax. It is taxing people who can afford to eat out more (and get fatter) at a greater rate than low income consumers.

Some people might call this fake news.

http://www.tax.utah.gov/images/food_flow_chart.png

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

Yeah because the Deseret News is a beacon of hard hitting investigative reporting.   Why won’t Utah legislators look capping the number of dependents one can claim?  Why won’t they look at Dabakis’ plan to raise the tax on people whom make over $250K a year?

keep in mind we are talking about a group of people that tried to send 53 million in CIB money out of the counties it is earmarked for to build a deep water port in Oakland. The city of Oakland said thanks but we don’t want your coal going through our port 

lthat money is intended to help displaced coal workers learn new skills for new jobs.  Why were Mike Noel, Herbert et al hell bent on using that money to try and sustain a dying industry? 

the ONLY reason the republicans have such a stranglehold on power in Utah is because they gerrymandered the districts to pick their voters 

outside of the Wasatch Front, Park City and Price you cannot get elected unless you’re a white mormon male and republican.  

DieHardUtahUtesFan
            Ute Fan
            @diehardutahutesfan

I don’t think anything you wrote had a thing to do with anything I wrote. Let me check. Yeah nothing.

PorterRockwell
              Ute Fan
              @porterrockwell

Wasn’t meant to other then your shot at the trib and low income people. 

DieHardUtahUtesFan
                Ute Fan
                @diehardutahutesfan

If I took a shot it was at a source not a journalist or a paper. That source was low income advocates who probably aren’t low income people. I could take a shot at the trib for using an unnamed source because it is bad journalism but i didn’t. Even if I did take a shot at the trib it wouldn’t mean I like the deseret news any better. I think you should turn down your outrage response because if you think what I wrote is controversial then I am sorry you think so but it just isn’t. Do you work for the trib or something?

PorterRockwell
                  Ute Fan
                  @porterrockwell

Pssst. I’m not outraged. I was messing with you.  

DieHardUtahUtesFan
                    Ute Fan
                    @diehardutahutesfan

You don’t like Nirvana I’m willing to believe anything of people on this board after that.

PorterRockwell
                      Ute Fan
                      @porterrockwell

Neither does Tony.  Give me the rolling stories, Doors Grsteful Dead Jimi Hendrix Bob Marley Buddy Holly Johnny cash the counting crowes black crowes Aerosmith led Zeppelin the Who even some Beach Boys Jan n Dean The Ventures The Hollies fleet wood Mack and lots of others but that whole grunge thing, meh 

1 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Come on man, what poorer people do you see at home preparing food? This is a tax on poor people. Plain and simple. 

DieHardUtahUtesFan
            Ute Fan
            @diehardutahutesfan

Your privilege is showing.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

lol. Nice try. 

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

Thanks for this context. I wasn’t aware that it didn’t include all food.

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

Get rid of corn/sugar subsidies and the number of people overweight would dramatically change.

PorterRockwell
          Ute Fan
          @porterrockwell

Yeah but then all those family farms would go broke!! Corn must be subsidized for ethanol, high fructose corn syrup etc.  

cant have those corn belt legislators not delivering on those pet pork projects 

Viewing 4 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Raise the food tax, reduce the sales tax