Random thoughts about the game on Friday

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

If I just look at the way both teams played this last weekend, I would say Utah will lose by 20+ points.  UW looked very solid on offense and defense against a top ten team.  On the other hand for three quarters – we looked very bad against an average team.

Looking deeper into UW.  They have not allowed more than 24 points all season in regulation.  They have an excellent defense that makes very few mistakes.  On the other hand their offense is nothing to brag about.  They rarely score more than 30 points against P5 teams.  But, they are probably healthier than they have been in months on offense.

I suspect they will try to control the game by running Gaskins 30+ times.  He had a great game against us in SLC.  If we can’t stop him, it may be a long day for us.  We will have to defend him differently than we did in September.  (Maybe 3 LBs on early downs.)  If we can slow Gaskins down, they will have to pass.  We learned last time (late) that Browning is not great under pressure.  If we rush 3/4 – he will eat us alive.  However, IMO – if we put pressure on him we can force some mistakes.

On offense – we need to be creative IMO.  Just running between the tackles will not get it done against their from seven.  Passing every down against their great DBs will also not ge it done.  We need to open up the playbook.  Hopefully, we have some things up our sleeve that UW has not seen before.  

Our special teams has to be at their best.  The good news is that if we get inside their 40 – we should be in FG range.

I think if we win it will be a low scoring game like 20-17.  We will have to play a very solid game to win this Friday.  But, I have seen this team do that this season.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Browning is the QB for Washington but yes he doesn’t do well under pressure if we are allowed to hit him. 

Utah can win this game it really can. The opportunities to score were there with Huntley. Drops drops drops killed us that game early in the season. Utah is playing much better. 

This will come down to targets and penalties. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

You are right – it’s Browning.  Not sure what I was thinking when I was typing.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Honestly I think last saturday was perfect for Shelley – it was statistically the best defense he’s faced in the last three games (BYU is actually top 20 in total defense…) and not too far behind UW. 

The byu RB turned out to actually be pretty slippery between the tackles and their mobile QB exposed some issues with our edge contain. Expect a bounceback this Friday from the D

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Shelley will need to throw the deep ball with better accuracy this week.  His throws seemed short against BYU.  I thought he looked better against CU and Oregon.

James
      Ute Fan
      @coachjamesmorse

Ok folks first off we need every fan that can get to Santa Clara to get there!! our boys need us

Here are the numbers you need to know

Washington won 7 pac 12 games when scoring 27 points

Utah was 1-2 when giving up 27 points

Utah was 6-0 when scoring 30 points in pac -12 games

Washington was 0-1 when giving up 30 points

Utah needs 15 offensive possessions and score on 7 of them to win this game

Utah needs 45 rushing attempts for 150+ yards

Utah needs to pass efficently 

Utah needs to dear Browning to beat us.

Play JJ on Fuller and Blackman and Guidry on Jones and Bacellia 

Play a 4-3-4 and play the run hard 

Browning TD to Int ratio the last 2 seasons 35-14 

They won the turnover battle the first time we played them. I feel Browning gives a couple of chances a game for INT’s I feel if we put them in the hole early they will start pressing and we can take advantage go Utes.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

I wouldn’t base too much from Saturday’s Utah game.  We didn’t play our base defense in the first half and we were resting one starter on almost every play.  Which doesn’t seem like a big deal until you take a look at how that affected our consistency.  

I think we’ll give them a good fight.  Your right when you say we have to be on our game.  We will as they are a good team.  But we are too.  It should be fun.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Random thoughts about the game on Friday