Rankings and quality losses.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Swoop Doggy Dogg
      Ute Fan
      @swoopdoggydogg

I was looking at the trending feature next to the rankings on a sports website and saw an odd pattern. 

So I began writing numbers. 

When teams from the ACC, Big 10 or Big 12 lost a game while ranked, they dropped an average of 5-6 positions. 

When teams from the PAC 12 were ranked and lost, they fell an average of 8 positions. 

When SEC teams lost, they fell an average of around 2.5 positions. 

Four PAC 12 teams dropped 9+ spots after a loss, including Utah.  

Only two other teams all season have dropped 9+ spots in the polls. Michigan after Wisc and Texas after TCU. 

I didn’t count teams that were ranked 20th or below. This isn’t scientific, but found it interesting. 

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

Well now I want to know how far Oregon dropped after their loss to Auburn – 9 or 2.5 spots.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Great observation.

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

We know, nice work, confirmed what we suspected all along. I’d like to know why SEC teams are ranked as high as they are all season long. ESPN with their network finger on the scale perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know!

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

All preseason models are based on- previous year results, returning players, and recruiting classes. Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Florida are not struggling in this department.  If Pac12 recruited players like SEC they’d have a similar reaction in ranking results.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rankings and quality losses.