RB Question…

Viewing 7 reply threads
      2 7

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Is it time to make Bernard #1 and Thomas the 2?  This fublistis is getting old.  He’s a good back, but what they hell does that matter if you fumble every 6 carries?  

Bernard has the skills. He’s really shown that the last 3 games.  

My thoughts, Bernard 1, Thomas 2, Curry and then Glover. 

yours?

2 3

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I think we should keep the RB depth as is, but take the punt returning responsibilities away from Vele, and give it to Bernard. Vele does a decent enough job at it, but Bernard is WAY more durable a ball carrier than Vele, and we know Bernard can catch.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Vele needs some film for his career. He also has excellent vision and is pretty smart. 

As far as the RB situation goes.  Glover is the most exciting one I saw on Saturday but the game was over at that point. I also prefer Bernard because he is a good route runner. Rising tends to love those TE and Rb plays. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Don’t take PR from Vele. There’s a good chance he will forget what actually getting to catch a ball feels like

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

21 TD’s from last year would suggest Tavion is your best red zone option in the last 30 years.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

I didn’t suggest we bench him, simple make him the 2. 

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I’ll let the coaches decide this one.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

We are fine with Thomas at RB1A and Bernard at RB1B.  Two RBs keep everyone healthy and fresh in the 4th qtr.  Ideal is Lightning and Thunder, making the defense change up many times.  Also when matchups are good or leads are good, sprinkle in the other RBs some.  But be prepared to let Thomas get into a zone with carries late in the game or when it is needed like protecting a lead.  Bernard will be important late in the game if we are behind.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

Our RB depth is awesome. Don’t think there’s any reason to hit the panic button on Thomas yet, maybe if we get into the Pac schedule and it persists then a discussion should be had. He’s too efficient in short yardage and the red zone to be pulled. Bernard is by far our most versatile back. Truly a NFL back, with the ability to run inside with physicality, outside with speed, catch the ball and block well. Curry has definitely improved since last year, but it may be hard to justify him taking many touches when he’s similar to Thomas but not as talented. Touches to Bernard and Glover that have much more explosion and play making ability makes sense.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

We wouldn’t need to take him out, he would still get plenty of reps…  

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Through 2 games Bernard has 6 carries and 7 receptions. It’s getting pretty close to tendency that whenever Bernard is on the field it will be a pass and they will run when either Rising is under center or Thomas/Curry are in.

Tendency’s by nature aren’t a bad thing, as long as you can use them to your advantage by picking your spots to do the opposite.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

No! Thomas is meant to be a workhorse and Bernard is a great changeup. Thomas has done just sbout everything to earn that spot, and he is a HUGE part of us facing tired defenses in the 2nd half.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football RB Question…