Re: Recruiting…

Viewing 5 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

I can see both sides of the argument that our classes must improve, and that our coaches really do develop players. 

The point was made that our classes rank in the middle of the PAC12. I think that was *****’s point. We consistently finish in the middle. Even our best class ever was, IIRC, 4th in conference. Even with 9 or 10 wins we still don’t finish better than 5th in the league. 

I like the trajectory that the program is currently experiencing, and I like that the program is placing talent at the next level. However, it’s becoming clear that despite all of that we still finish in the middle. 

Im interested to see whether the increased attention to the Offense produces a better finish in the conference before I condemn the coaching staff and declare that this is their ceiling. This 2018 season is pivotal for the program in that regard. 

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

It’s simple – The only thing holding Utah football back is the Quarterback position. Above average QB play would have changed those 9 and 10 win seasons to 10 and 11 win seasons and a trip to the PAC 12 Championship game. Until the QB position gets figured out, get comfortable with the annual trips to the lower tiered bowl games.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I tend to agree, but until we see it it’s a hypothetical. Proof is in the pudding, as they say. Now the QB position, and WR too, are being addressed. We have to see the results.

AZUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @azutefan

It’s simple – The only thing holding Utah football back is the Quarterback position. Above average QB play would have changed those 9 and 10 win seasons to 10 and 11 win seasons and a trip to the PAC 12 Championship game. Until the QB position gets figured out, get comfortable with the annual trips to the lower tiered bowl games.

1 5

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Good Post.

But I’m not sure next year is pivotal in regards to turning the corner of recruiting but more so on having a more veteran team compared to other PAC12 teams.  Outside of OSU, CO and possibly UA the other programs in the PAC12 typically bring in better prospective talent then Utah.  Until this changes Utah will need to look at special  seasons (every 5-10 years) rather than realistically competing for  PAC12 championship on a yearly  basis.

The expectation needs to be top 25 classes every. No exceptions.

5 1

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Anyone who thinks Utah can compete for a title every year is delusional. 

The goal/expexatation should be every 4-6 years we have a shot. 

Thats just reality. 

If you rank south teams based on name, recruiting, location, etc it looks like this:

USC

UCLA

Arizona State

Utah/Colorado/Arizona

Anonymous
          Inactive

Nuts to that!

We’ve been in contention up to the last week in four of our seven seasons in the PAC12. Once the building up is complete, within a year or three, we should be contenders 9/10 years.

1 1

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Which is why anyone who wants to get rid of Whitt is insane. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

Well, we’ll see. He may have hit his ceiling. As I said, this is a pivotal year.

I place a bit less importance on the recruiting rankings because we seem to get a lot of contributors from unconventional places, as someone else previously noted.

Mac took the program as far as he could. Maybe the same is true of Kyle. We’ll see.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

100% you let him retire but the proof is in the pudding the next two seasons for Whitt. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

With your expectations you will never be satisfied. Changing expectations is the only realistic outcome to make yourself happier. 

User Suspended
          @a2ute

I don’t think setting the expectation of a annual top 25th recruiting class is out of line for Utah.  Again, I think far too many Ute fans give Kwhitt & staff a pass on recruiting that basically no other PAC 12 fan base would allow ( excluding OSU,WSU and CU). 

To a large extent I call bullsh#t on the  mormon culture or cold weather excuse. Kwhitt has proven to have a fairly stable coaching staff and completive program and the ability to send players into the NFL. The foundation has been set but Kwhitt needs to get it done in February. 

The ink isn’t dry on this year’s class and he still has time to get this class closer to what it needs to be.  But realistically this class looks like it will probably stall out in the top 40 or 50.  Not going to cut it. 

Side note: I’m opportunistic that GA will help in keeping more of the top instate prospect we seem to lose  

5 3

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

You call bulls**t on a religion that has been extremely racist? One that has the Zion curtain? One that doesn’t allow people to watch deadpool? 

I mived from Utah to Philadelphia. People there asked me if I was enjoying using electricity now that I was in Philly. 

Utah is weird. People think it’s weird. Especially African Americans. Then you add in all the weird dynamics with local kids, church and BYU. 

The recruiting problems are very real and if you don’t believe it, you’ve never lived outside of Utah or had nonmormon friends. 

2 2

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Funny I think places like Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles etc are weird. They have weird laws and they protect criminals. Philly has a weird DA right now. I look at those places and I don’t even want to visit. 

Philly is following in Chicago’s footsteps and wants to be murder capital. 

1 3

User Suspended
                @a2ute

Wow..you sound real white and real mormon. 

I think  more interesting examples of weird/ boring places would be Lincoln Nebraska, South Bend Indiana, Norman Oklahoma.  Not really hot beds of fun but never used as a reason for not getting top talent.

And Yes, I know these location are elite programs…but my point is simple.  If a prospect believes they can be successful they will go anywhere.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Phillys new DA is a known BLM supporter who fired 31 ADA’s two days in after he was sworn.  Many of them had cases two weeks away from going to trial. Oh yeah they were MURDER trials btw. Many of the prosecutors asked to resign or terminated had pending murder trials. You can keep your s**t hole cities with the crazy people you elect. I prefer Utah low crimei and plenty of outdoors to do what I want. 

What does my race and religion have to do with anything? How you justify your bigotry is basically the same as everyone has throughout time you are not progressive at all. 

User Suspended
              @a2ute

I live outside of Utah and almost exclusively have non mormon friends

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

*****? Which user is *****?

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I love the mountain west. I really don’t buy into the Utah is no fun because the Mormons don’t allow fun dialog. I believe SLC has enough diversity in its culture to find almost any kind of fun you are looking for. However if you are looking for the gang and drug culture or the heavy drinking nightclub culture, it may be a bit more difficult to find. I am not LDS. I have lived in 6 different states. I have been to 5 other counties. Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Re: Recruiting…