Reaaally hoping for a WR transfer commit here soon

Viewing 6 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Our current room of pass catchers is good, but I’m not sure they’re good enough to win a conference title. Here is what we have:

— Thompson is a very good outside WR that does most things well.
      — Covey is a very good slot WR that can occasionally get a shot down field.
      — Enis is very sure-handed, and makes for a good target on critical downs.
      — Nacua has his moments, but it feels like he has hit his ceiling and isn’t going to become a game-changer.
      — Kuithe is somewhat of a hybrid WR playing tight end that creates tons of mismatches.
      — Fotheringham is a big target, but so far hasn’t really been a difference maker.

That’s a solid room, but I believe there’s a piece missing from there: a true home run threat. Which of those guys is putting fear into a defense that they’re going to blow the top off? Remember when USC beat us last year just by hitting home run balls essentially to one WR? We have to have a guy that makes the defense believe we can score on them from anywhere on the field. Without that, other teams will continue to key on the run and try to make our passing game beat them (which is what Oregon did in pac12 title game).

I get the QB play SHOULD be much better in 2021, but I don’t believe that will be enough without adding a true deep threat WR.

Also, don’t be surprised when you see Puka Nacua enter the portal soon (he is a WR for UW, also Samson’s brother). TDS currently has a leg up on him, but he would be a huge get to help fill this need. Let’s hope Utah can get in on him.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

You’re so right on this.  Jaylen Dixon had the skills to stretch it deep, but he left for greener pastures.  What pasture that is has yet to be seen.  Man, I just don’t know if I consider Utah if I’m a top-flight WR.  We convinced Solomon Enis to sign, but I’ll bet he would reconsider that decision if he had it to do all over again.  Our offensive scheme and identity will always be the “jam it down your throat” approach, which is great, but it tends to make your receivers blockers instead of pass-catchers.  I think we’re going to have to rely on the Steve Smith’s of the world that are much better than their star-rating suggest.  That’s OK, we’re way ahead of the curve on running backs, usually.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

If it happens, it means we would have to grayshirt somebody, or ask a missionary to start their mission early, if there are any in this class. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen the Utes gray shirt anybody. It’s definitely a tactic the big boys use though.

I think the main thing we need however is a QB who can hit a back shoulder fade in the end zone. Bentley missed a number of surefire touchdowns inside the red zone that really could have made our offense a lot more productive last year.

Fabian
      Ute Fan
      @scutes

Is there something that indicates that puka nacua is entering the portal?

I agree that fotheringham hasn’t been a difference maker on the passing game but mostly because he is a more traditional inline tight end and his assignment is usually to block, in which he has done a great job

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

I’m told he has reached out to at least one BYU coach in the last few days

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

I heard that it was UWa WR Ty Jones who’d reached out to a zoob coach, but ultimately opted to transfer to Fresno St (as had Utah RB Jordan Wilmore).  Ty Jones is from Provo, and a [former] teammate and long-time friend of Puka Nacua — who’s from Orem.  After Jones reached out to Zoobistan, the zoobs on cougarboard started fantasizing about Jones joining the bubble, and bringing his friend/teammate Nacua with him.  But apart from that zoob fantasy, I had seen no indication that Nacua was ever even CONSIDERING the transfer portal.

Ghost of the HEB
            Ute Fan
            @deseretgentlman

Heard that from a reliable source. Also, go look at his recent Twitter follows. Someone particular on there.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I don’t disagree with the need or desire for a WR, however, I don’t know how much better we can do.  The 5 star and high 4 star receivers may be out of our reach since we don’t have a top passing program.  Enis and Jones may be as good as we can pair together.  Sadly, Jones didn’t make it in.  Covey and Thompson could each break into the all pac teams.  Our TEs are as productive as the top pac teams.  The receivers can improve but that is but one component to improving passing.  I think the QB options will be improved next year, if so that may provide a bigger bump in the passing game.  Next, a better WR may not be noticed without improved OL blocking.  If the center stays with Ford, another year may allow overall improvement in the protection.  Additionally, the lack of spring practice and COVID in the fall didn’t allow Ludwig to make the second year improvements to the offense that I expect he can do, in particular getting the QB and WRs working together.  I think last year most teams just salvaged what they could from 2019 coaching with who they had, with less than normal current year coaching.  Last, the running game needs to be a big threat to let the passing game progress.  Last year the running game was taking off, we need to avoid a drop off and keep that progress going.  In addition to a better WR there are other aspects that can and I hope, make the passing game take off.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Room is more full than mentioned. Money Parks and Makai Cope will be really good. Question is how soon will they break in. I think we need a vertical threat, but beyond that I think we’re in good hands.

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

You’re missing a few very good receivers that you’ll know their names next year. The more you dig, the more you’ll be happy with our receiving corps. I like them all. Potential to be elite next year.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Reaaally hoping for a WR transfer commit here soon