Reason for optimism with this O-line. Flame away whiny bitches!

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

1. This is the 3rd year with Andy Ludwig at the helm and therefore the first year in which upperclassman will have been through Andy Ludwig’s oh-fence for 2 years. The O-line is the position group that usually takes the longest to mature and develop. With 2 years of experience in Andy Ludwig’s system, the protections and blocking will be at a higher level.

2. Nick Ford at Center provides the higher level of leadership at taking control of the oh-fence and calling audibles at the line of scrimmage than what was happening with Orlando Umana…hence the move of Ford to center and Umana to the bench last year and the subsequent Umana transfer. I think Ford is also stronger and more athletic. 

3. You have a very experienced QB who has played many games at the helm that is seasoned at recognizing defenses, calling audibles, and who is also tough and mobile.

4. Last year’s starting 5 was largely under classmen with Kump (RM True Frosh), Daniels (SO and coming back off injury), Ford Replacing Umana (Ford a JR), Satoa Laumea (RS Frosh), Simi Moala (So) while this year’s team plus Bam are more experienced as upperclassman team *asterisk in that the COVID year effectively holds everyone back an extra year as far as the class designation.

5. Despite the pass blocking being less than desired in the past, Utah has excelled in the run blocking game and Utah has 4 very versatile running backs to run down hill. The guy who wins out, might be the guy who shows he can pass protect the best, all other things being equal. I like our chances with this Line and group of RB’s. 

2 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Optimistic speculation. The one optimistic thing I will say is an absolute is that the offensive line was muuuch better last year with Fordat center. That guy belongs there.

In theory that may also mean that the guys playing with him will be better as a unit because he is there to be a stabilizing force.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I think there’s more substance than mere speculation.

MFury
          Ute Fan
          @mfury

I like it. My concern is more about the group experience and coaches comments about minor injuries preventing cohesive practice.

Our first few weeks give a nice path to build that up without a ton of risk.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

In b4 Trailgoat… Count me in the camp that thinks the OL will be just fine this season.

1 1

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Sorry, 7 figure salary… “Optimistic that Harding and the oline will be good this year”… it’s getting old.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Reason for optimism with this O-line. Flame away whiny bitches!