Red goggles aside, where does Utah finish in the South?

Viewing 7 reply threads

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I’m voting #1 but only by a sliver. I think it could be any of the LA schools or us.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I’ll go #1 too. USC new coach, new QB, killer schedule, they will lose some conference games they shouldn’t because of what I mentioned, thus putting them out of the running. UCLA new OC bringing in a new offense and supposedly their O-line is taking a step back.

Also, I don’t see us getting out coached like we did our fist few years in the conference. Arguably, we have one of the better coaching staffs in the conference.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’ll go with top 3 like the media polls.  All depends on injury tolls on Utah and the teams they compete with.  Also highly dependent upon Utah developing a dependable passing game that can cause some damage.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I just am holding my breath when it comes to the offense. I know this isn’t popular opinion but I am not confident with Jo Williams as the running back he is a turnover machine IMO.  I hope we lean on McCormick and Williams/Cox at QB for some rush attack.

But I think Utah starts out really well again but I think our offense isn’t dynamic and defenses outscheme them. Utah needs tons of playmakers to step up this year on offense. Then this conversation leads me right into the wideouts who again I want to see them step up. I really hope we have health at tight end and can utilize them. CBB and Patrick need to stay healthy somehow to give the offense a deep ball. And on and on I can go.

Ute Gnome
      Ute Fan
      @utegnome

I would love #1, but more likely 3rd IMO.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh and I think/hope/thoughts and prayers/good vibes/#pleasehelpmeShiva want Utah to be number one because I think this is the time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I share the turnover concerns with Joe Williams.  I have no idea on the receivers.  I think Troy Williams wins the QB competition and will be a pleasant surprise.

Anonymous
        Inactive

If the next QB is only a slight improvement on Wilson I will be absolutely satisfied.  It has always been my opinion that Utah lacks quality wideouts.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

I think we have a talented stable of WRs, and, outside of last year, have had such. WRs are always going to look worse with a QB who is afraid/unable to let routes develop and all you run are quick slants and bubble screens

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

Booker had turnover issues when he first came to Utah and he shored them up pretty quickly. I think Joe will get coached up just well. Remember that he only saw action in a few games last season so he’ll need some time to adjust.

In terms of Utah finishing in the South I think we’ll either be 1st or 3rd. If we work out a semi-decent passing game and avoid the late-season injuries that we had last year then we sweep the South. If we struggle offensively like we did last season then we Lose at least 2 games, likely USC and UCLA but we find enough to beat the rest of our South opponents.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I think Utah beats USC. USC bit off a tough schedule as usual.

MBAute89
      Ute Fan
      @jtbuckner

Red goggles aside, I think Utah finished anywhere in the top three of the South. The two areas that still concern me are offensive production and depth. I don’t think we have the depth of USC or UCLA still, which is why we tend to stumble in November. So, if we can fix our quarterback and receiver issues and avoid the injury bug, we should be a solid lock for winning the south.

If not….well we’ll be in for another late season stumble and finish 2nd or 3rd.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

next year has very real disaster potential. Like 4 wins bad. I havent thought that in a long time. Coincidentally, for some of the same reasons, it has better potential than any year in recent history

UteStuckInSeattle
        Ute Fan
        @utestuckinseattle

4 wins in 2016, or 2017?

I could maybe see a 7 win season both years if the wheels came off due to injury.

What 8 teams do you think we lose to?

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

If our secondary doesnt improve and our run defense suffers as we arent able to even come close to replacing Norris and Paul, and if our QB situation actually deteriorates with an inexperienced QB under C, I could see us losing to…

BYU
          USC
          Cal
          UCLA
          UW
          Oregon
          2/3 of ASU/UA/CU

Worst case scenario.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Red goggles aside, where does Utah finish in the South?