Remember Jack Sears?

Viewing 3 reply threads
      6 1

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

Pocket QB from San Clemente.  He commited to USC and will graduate early.  Rumors are that he will transfer somewhere.  Same with Will McBride from Tennessee, dual threat and will graduate early.  Both recruited heavly by Utah.

Anonymous
      Inactive

2nd string at USC, or 3rd string at Utah?
      Or, start at Colorado.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I can see The Pirate going after Jack Sears.

Not sure about Will McBride, but I am impressed that he is graduating after his Sophomore season (is he a RS SO?  Still I admire the dedication).

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Little too much books not enough film study if you ask me. 😂. Seriously how in the hell did he graduate so quickly?

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

A lot of kids these days take the Alex Smith approach.  They take enough college credit courses in high school and they practically graduate with their undergrad completed before they even step foot on campus.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

Well, you’d have to take tons of AP classes to do that. It’s not like they’re easy or something. In comparison I mean. And you only get college credit for them if you pass the test. Some kids don’t even take the AP test. If you don’t pass, you don’t get college credit.

prestitute
              Ute Fan
              @prestitute

They aren’t that hard though. I started at the U as basically a Jr. You can also do concurrent enrollment in a lot of places that let you take classes at local JCs or Universities that give you college credit.

2 2

palos_verdes_ute
                Ute Fan
                @palos-verdes-ute

I started at the U in 91, and graduated in 96.  Took me 5 years.  I barely graduated HS.   I can’t imagine going to school AND playing football AND graduating early.

prestitute
                  Ute Fan
                  @prestitute

If he did the pre-work early in highschool, he could have had a huge head start. A lot depends on the major, a lot depends on the kid and how he is wired as well. If he had 1-2 years of banked credit, or found independent study stuff, it isn’t that hard to get through a degree in 2 years. I ended up spending 4 years in my degree (5 total at the U) because I changed majors from Chemistry to Electrical Engineering, and there wasn’t a lot of overlap in terms of the course I needed between them. I started as basically a junior at the U (I was a Jr. after my 1st semester) because I took a lot of AP classes in HS. It didn’t help me get through my degree that much faster though, because a lot of them didn’t apply. However, if I had been in something like business administration, econ, or sociology, etc. a lot more of my credits would have been directly applicable, and I could have finished in 4-5 semesters total. I agree that football and school is a challenge, but Alex did it, and a lot of other kids do to. It is about the kids and the choices they make/how they choose to spend their time while in school.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

Doesn’t the pirate still have Cammon Cooper, the 4 star Lehi kid?  That’s like burning the 4-star pipeline bridge if you bring in a transfer.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

He’s quite the Craftsman but he takes about 20 minutes just to check-out at the register.

32utahutes
      @32utahutes

Problem is, he’s been in college for 2 years (after he completes the spring semester), so I doubt it’s graduate transfer so he has to sit out his RS SO year, then because he transferred to a P12 team that takes away another year, so he would be a SR and we would get 1 year. Unless SC waved that then we could get him for 2 years.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

That is correct.  NCAA will require Sears to sit out one year.  That’s why it’s not guarantee he will transfer.  He has a higher ceiling then Fink does, a better arm, and is coachable.  I feel sorry for this kid because he’s sorta stuck in no mans land.  

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

He would have 2 years.  I think he redshirted.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Unless he graduated.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

This. If he graduated he can go wherever he wants with no sitting. Which is why he won’t come to Utah. He will go where he can start right away. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Remember Jack Sears?