Rising, Kuithe and Vele are going to be interesting

Viewing 6 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

I wouldn’t be shocked if at least 2 of those 3 returned. I think Kuithe almost has to come back if he wants to play in the NFL.Rising is a late round/UDFA this year and would be treated very well with NIL if he stays so it has to be intriguing. Vele makes a roster or at least a practice squad because of his size and athleticism but is also a UDFA IMO. If that happens we’ll be a top 10 preseason team again next year. With CoVid there are a lot of guys ready to come out now and it might help make their decisions easier.
      Yassmin should come back from a football standpoint but I think he’ll probably go home and start his life. Still a lot to clean up and learn on the field and it would be a tough transition for him at the next level if it’s not what he truly wants. His run the other night was a rugby run complete with the slide across the goal line!!
      I also think Diabate would be better served with another year. He began to play a lot better down the stretch but I think he’ll try the league.
      The more I look at it the more I’m convinced we’ll see more offensive adds via the portal this year. We don’t lose much on D. I think a RB and WR add is almost a given.

I’m not sure we’ve ever had more momentum as a program as we have right now. A ton of young guys as massive contributors…Friday night was massive for the “brand” IMO. Last year is close but I think we win the Rose and if you do that this year becomes better.

Here’s to a great 30 days of Ute football!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah Kuithe seemed to hint that he might come back. That would obviously be “uge.” I think Rising could make more money staying with NIL than he would if he went pro. I’m VERY excited about our defense next season. The last few games this season it has really progressed. 

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

Next year’s D will be fantastic. I’ve been salivating over the idea of having Bishop and Ritchie as our safety duo

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

I think Rising’s national NIL brand really shot up with the 2nd USC win.   Could even get Heisman thoughts for next year even though his numbers are not really headline grabbing as you normally see with Heisman candidates.  Toughness and gamer mentality, though, is getting notice.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Yes…loaded on defense. Just a lot of youth all around that are contributors. Future is extremely bright. Need to close well on the recruiting trail but if they do we should be formidable for 4-5 years minimum.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Thanks, OnlyU for your post.  I agree with you that Rising should stay another year to help his draft status.  I support whatever he decides to do.  I have a couple of questions.

1. Does Diabate have another year of eligibility?  I thought he was done for sure.

2. The Clavert brothers were highly recruited 4-star guys.  Are either of them close to playing.

3. Isbell was a highly touted transfer and played some early.  Is he hurt or did Vaki just take his playing time?

4. Do we have any Dline or Oline players thinking of leaving early?

5. Cam has indicated that he is likely leaving.  He has to know that he is not likely to be drafted as it sits today.  What is his thinking right now.

6. Have you heard anything about Holker possibly coming to Utah.  I know nothing can be official, but are we hearing anything from his family, etc.

7. Can Johnson play in the bowl game without losing his redshirt year?

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Words out on these guys now , if they weren’t before .. do we have the money to retrain them .. USC and Alabama will be trying again to poach this off season

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

We need to make sure a lot of these guys are getting NIL love. Vaki and Pepa for sure

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

A lot to unpack here so here it goes:

1. Mo has a CoVid year if he wants it. His plan was always a 1 year deal but if he’s objective he has a better chance to make the league with another year of high level play.
        2. The Calvert bros both had major knee reconstructions. Ethan was barely cleared during fall camp so was behind and Josh had a new system to learn. They are both good players and we’ll thought of and if Mo leaves it opens up a spot for them to compete for…Medlock will have something to say about that as well. They could both leave but Josh has already transferred once so I would lean to them staying. That’s just my feeling though…have no idea what’s going on in their minds.
        3. Isbell is a free safety so he backs up RJ. He’ll be in line to start next year. If Vaki can play the nickel (I believe he can) then you have Cole and Ritchie at SS. Depends how fast Ritchie can shake off the post mission rust but they won’t have to rush him. Also depends on his body post mission. Did he grow/gain enough weight where he is forced down into the box? Pearson will back up Isbell at FS I believe.
        4. Lineman – losing Daniels (to the NFL) and there might be another guy who would consider leaving (just a whisper so not putting much credence to that one). There was some frustration after one of the losses but I believe that’s behind them. Don’t see any d line contributors leaving either.
        5. Cam – look I believe Cam is a career backup in the NFL. I think he has the intelligence and intangibles to make a team and if given the chance might even outperform expectations. I also think that you only have so many times in your life to be “King” and this is one of those times. He makes 2-300K in NIL today and that probably gets better. If he comes back we’re a top 10 team again. I think he should but sometimes these young guys think the time is now despite others telling them to slow down. We’ll see but I think from a football standpoint it’s best he stays.
        6. I think Holker ends up a Ute (if we have the room). Kuithe coming back, Lyons committing here, etc. could change that. 80/20 he becomes a Ute today. We will not be hurting for TE’s in the foreseeable future.
        7. Nate would burn his RS if he plays in the Rose. They are very high on him as the future QB though I’d imagine we pick up a veteran in the portal to give us options. They will explain their vision of his future and let him decide if he wants to play 3-5 plays in the Rose or have 4 years left to play after this season.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Thanks, OnlyU.  This helps me understand things a lot better.

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

As always, thanks for all the info!!

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

OnlyU, when do you anticipate guys will make/announce their decisions? Does that typically take place prior to bowl games or sometime following?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

NFL decisions can come at any time. Portal decisions will come from those who don’t anticipate playing in the Rose. If they are playing and are planning on transferring I think they announce after that game.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Should be interesting. Cam, I am guessing is the first domino, although I’m sure they are all chatting behind the scenes. Agree on Kuithe, NFL would rather see him healthy after another year of college football mitigating risk. Rising seems to be building a solid business foundation in Utah. Beyond the Cam swag he could really continue expanding his revenue generation coming back and live a very comfortable life in Utah if that’s where he wants to be. After the USC games and a good showing in the RB he’s becoming a villian celebrity in SoCal as well. He can take a shot at the NFL after next year and see where it takes him with an established business presence in Utah to fall back on. Sounds like his pops and others are running the business behind the scenes so he does not have to worry about all the admin BS and just play football, read the teleprompter, and cash checks.

Amazing what three hours of football on national TV can do for a career now with NIL. If you can play, NFL teams don’t give a crap about your age. The NFL is a galdiator business, owners and coaches don’t care about anything else but player production and don’t make them look bad in the media. Covey and a lot of the mission kids still playing in the NFL. No question he would make a roster some where especially if he stays healthy and shows out next year. Certainly will have plenty of national exposure playing Florida and at Baylor right out of the gate. Of course this is a Crimson colored point of view. 

Uteusmc
      Ute Fan
      @uteusmc

Of those 3 – how many will have their degree by the end of the year?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Cam and Kuithe do and likely could have 2 soon. With the mission I’d expect Vele to be very close to his if not already completed this year.

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Only U thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, extremely informative and appreciated .. wish the expansion would happen sooner , would have been awesome to see what these guys could have done . Happy for the Rose let’s use that as the next years starting point !

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rising, Kuithe and Vele are going to be interesting