Rivalry Smack Talk-stories to boil your blood

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

So my GF(now wife), at the time,  and I were attending tds in the late 90’s. She was trying to get into their nursing school. She had 4.0 at the Y taking hard classes. She is going to apply to the nursing school and meets with a councilor to ask what she needs to do get into the program. The councilor looks at her course work grades at tds and ACT score(which was low) from 3 years earlier and says you have no business applying for this program I suggest you look at another major. The councilor was very snobby and seemed annoyed my wife would even think she was good enough for their nursing program. 

So my wife applies at the U. She’s accepted, applies for a full ride scholarship and gets that. She then becomes president of her class. Interestingly enough she is at a recuiting fair for nursing students and sits in a booth next to the tds councilor who gave her the snub. My wife appoaches the councilor and says, hi, remember me? I just wanted to thank you for telling me to not apply to your program. I got into a much better program and have a scholarship. F da Y.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

They are notorious for not supporting female graduates. One of my close friends graduated #2 in her class with a graphic arts degree, a program in which byu-P is top 5 in the nation. When she went to the job fair as a senior, she felt they did not tell her about any career opportunities, did not help her with info about grad school programs, and essentially expected her to defer to her male classmates (all but one of whom were less qualified than she was).

I am glad your wife got out of that situation and into a significantly better one at the U nursing school. 

4 6

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

It’s because women are only good for being mothers. She shouldn’t take a job away from a worthy priesthood holder. 

I’d add the /s to it, but sadly it’s not sarcasm. 

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

I read in some statistical compilation recently that the median wage for a female byu grad is $8k. Not a typo. So basically just expected to have a side hustle selling supplements or makeup, not a real career. At UU we should still do better but it was around $35k for female grads here, which was closer to the national average. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Both of those numbers are pathetic

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

When I was a freshman at the U, I picked up a girlfriend who went to BYU-P. She got us tickets to the holy war game at their erector set stadium. I wore my red, she wore her blue…all good. We sat in the student section, obviously. 

And obviously, I was not expecting to be well treated, being a visiting fan sitting in the student section. The BYU-P kids did not disappoint. I had plenty of comments and garbage hurled my way…all good. 

But what p**sed me off was the way they treated her. After Utah won 34-31 and we were leaving, she had garbage thrown at her by her fellow students and called plenty of names. Traitor, bitch, slut, apostate were some of the names I heard. 

She later left BYU-P (not long after we called it quits), finished her degree at Zona, got married, and started a nice family and a teaching career. I like to think that that moment is when she began to see the true colors of BYU-P. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Rivalry Smack Talk-stories to boil your blood